A Boat Ride

Julian de'Courcy

While chatting with Dan at Pentewan we got interrupted by two security guards. The company boss who I chatted to later asked if I'd seen this odd masked character around the camp site. Of course I could not let on and said they'd be far better pursuing a naked man who photographed himself at dawn on the nearby beaches. They thanked me and apologised for the interruption by inviting me for a boat trip, which I took up.

We left Mevagissey as soon as the boat was afloat. The trip was for the skippers son who paints and wished for some shots from the sea as references to paint from. So I took my camera and tried to capture at least something of interest. The one shot I wished to get we ended not having the time to do so. I'll try again for that sometime soon when I can.

I've put together a lot of images to consolidate them into one post and maybe show the trip as it went along. All in all it was not the best day photographically good to catch up with friends and to be out on such a lovely day. The bonus was catching Bass Pollack and Mackerel, of which I had a pan of Mackerel for dinner.

MEVAGISSEY by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

Fuelling up before we left.

_P1M1953 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

_P1M1958 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

Ivars friend Terry as the helm.

_P1M2079 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

The boss at the helm

_P2M2443 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

Spied something

_P2M2442 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

Photography started

_P1M1972 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

Dinner caught

TREV by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

Passing Perhaver near Goran Haven

_P2M2341 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

Rounding Dodman point, referred to as The Deadman due to the shipwrecks here.

_P2M2382 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

Hemmick beach

HEMMICK BEACH by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

Portloe small crabber

DP3M2051 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

Gull Rock where we caught several fish

GULL ROCK by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

DP3M2091 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

_P1M2136 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

Then on the way home chatted to friends taking time out .

_P2M2462 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

_P1M2146 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

_P1M2151cn by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

_P2M2468 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

Then home to moor up.

_P1M2178 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

Fabulous! Love this set Julian. (Haven't had fresh mackerel since I was in Applecross in 2012.)

Who's the drunk fella on the steps? ;)

Hemmick Beach especially is a delightful image.

Also, with regard to the naked masked man sighted occasionally on local beaches,...was he captured? :D

Loved looking at these, Julian. :)

Fabulous! Love this set Julian. (Haven't had fresh mackerel since I was in Applecross in 2012.)

Who's the drunk fella on the steps? ;)

Hemmick Beach especially is a delightful image.

Also, with regard to the naked masked man sighted occasionally on local beaches,...was he captured? :D

Loved looking at these, Julian. :)
Thanks Brian. we get the Scots Mackerel boats down here as they follow the shoals to this peninsula and beyond, it may well have been a Cornish Mackerel you ate;) I prefer them this time of the years, the winter mackerel are seriously oily and a bit to much so for myself. Over the last month I've been getting a pan full of herrings each day from a friend. much prefer them and noticeably help with the aches and pains.
The drunk man is a , teacher and part time painter, ok say no more :rolleyes: smashing guy.
No the masked man got away. far to slippery, like an eel, nothing noticeably to get hold of ;)

Excellent Julian...looks like a good time was had by all.
Thanks Glenn, yes a good time, hopefully we'll get out again soon. Mind you a big red nose as I forgot the hat.

Evidence of a very enjoyable day out. I feel as if I was on the trip with you. What a beautiful area to live in Julian.
Thanks Tom. Yes Cornwall on it's day is a beautiful place, whether on days like we had or the storm that drive in from the south west. Sadly though many of the small coastal villages are literally empty for most of the year as the locals have been priced out as they are purchased as holiday homes. Basically areas like this only survive by receiving monies from objective one status.

Well if that was a Cornish mackerel I ate he had floated a long way from home. We caught him in the waters off Applecross. ;)

So you have. You didn't expect me to actually bother to read it though did you?
Nope. I probably would not have read it. Brian once asked for such info , so thought I'd get into the practise of leaving at least some info. Although the Merrlin has a quirk, sometimes it does not display the exif info after conversion. So then I don't bother :p

We'll let you of this time Paul as you've done your lines!

What a great set Julian. Love the story and I especially like the 'conversation' at sea.
Thank you Pate. Yes the skipper of that boat 'Bass go Deeper' which refers to his music rather than fish, a bit of a twist. He will use those images I passed on for his website.
I did mess up that day though and lost many shots as I'd had the camera on spot metering without realising,had to pull the images up in post processing, which is what the Merrill files are not good at and do suffer.

Thank you Pate. Yes the skipper of that boat 'Bass go Deeper' which refers to his music rather than fish, a bit of a twist. He will use those images I passed on for his website.
I did mess up that day though and lost many shots as I'd had the camera on spot metering without realising,had to pull the images up in post processing, which is what the Merrill files are not good at and do suffer.
What, a mistake Julian, them cameras can't be trusted, eh? Well the way you spotted your images are as many already have said, exellent as well as the written story. It's also nice to see my friend Terry again and your colourful Mevagissey. It's not just me and my camera that's colourful then but the Merrill in the hands of that certain villager is apparantly a match too.:)

What, you made a mistake Julian? Well the way you spotted your images are as many already have said, exellent as well as the written story. It's also nice to see my friend Terry again and your colourful Mevagissey. It's not just me and my camera that's colourful then but the Merrill in the hands of that certain villager is apparantly a match too.:)
Thank you Ivar. I had thoughts of pulling down the saturation, but I have decided to come clean , on a day as has been many days now , such vivid deep colours as the sun rises each day and the temperature sores. It was after all the longest day light, day of the year, therefore the attempted was to show it as it as I saw it.

Back