Critique Welcomed A Corbie Sits at the Top O' Yon Tree Cawing at the Moon

Brian Moore

Canon 7D with Tamron 18-270.

I've been trying to pick up some Photoshop skills. The original photo had a Gibbous moon that was a little out of focus. Managed to import a full moon from another picture.

I like how the corbie seems to be cawing at the moon.

Hmm…not sure, Brian. Nice composition, of course, but is that digital artefacts I see around the corbie? There is a light-blue edge around the bird, different from the sky? I’m always happy to support you in your endeavours which are always inspirational, but I venture to suggest you haven’t got the technique perfected yet. But it is very likely that I’ve got it all wrong, in which case forgive me.

And there was me not going to mention the halo, but seeing that a less sensitive member of the forum has... ;)

The composition works well and, given the intent, I have no problem with the digital trickery. My solution to these halos is to use the clone tools in PS with Clone Darken as the effect to use, you can then copy the sky from nearby and don't have to worry about it affecting the bird as that is darker than the sky. That will eliminate the halo completely.

Good observations, both. That "tree", which is actually a flagpole, I selected as an object and lightened up. It selected the corbie, too. That accounts for the halo I think. I should have just left the damn flagpole alone. Nevertheless, after many, many posts in which I have invited critique, I think this is the first time anyone ever offered substantive criticism, which I appreciate. Thank you. Here is the original fotie for comparison. No digital trickery below.

Upon reflection I feel the need to explain my italics in the word substantive. Some years ago a member (who didn't stick around long) took what seemed to me a perverse delight in criticizing my work. As a photographer he was a legend,...to himself. Anyway, his critiques of my photos seemed unreasonable to me (and I think also to a few other members maybe).

All and any constructive and well-meaning criticism is always welcome.

The original is a damn fine shot on its own, but I also like what you did to it and I can see why you'd want to. The flattened uniformity of the sky and the full moon add to the image and help it move towards a graphic image. One could almost imagine how it could easily become either a painting or a further stylised even with a silhouetted bird on the pole and a simple white circle representing the moon and still be a compelling image.

The original is a damn fine shot on its own, but I also like what you did to it and I can see why you'd want to. The flattened uniformity of the sky and the full moon add to the image and help it move towards a graphic image. One could almost imagine how it could easily become either a painting or a further stylised even with a silhouetted bird on the pole and a simple white circle representing the moon and still be a compelling image.
Thanks a lot, Pete. I never thought about the graphic possibilities of the image but I can now see why you say that. I had another version of this image in which the moon was a little more in focus but the corbie was looking away. Damned thing wouldn't cooperate with me,...can you believe that?

I have to say I far prefer the original. But I can see what you were getting at. I like the fact you are still searching and seeking, but I personally feel you have always had your own voice in photography, Brian, without recourse to PS.

I have to say I far prefer the original. But I can see what you were getting at. I like the fact you are still searching and seeking, but I personally feel you have always had your own voice in photography, Brian, without recourse to PS.
Very kind of you, Rob. Thank you.

Back