Critique Welcomed A Getty Twilight

Brian Moore

At the Getty Center in Los Angeles. Shot last night, Nov 23, 2021, with the ex-MacKillop Sigma DP1 Merrill.

I've been getting interested in color lately. For this particular image I applied a pre-set that gave me the rich color on the building and the not-quite-right blue sky. Also applied a bit of manipulation to the image to get the verticals correct so this is an image with far more manipulation than I have done before. (I've straightened verticals many-a-time and horizons too, but color manipulation is new to me.)

Nice shot, but, to be honest I’m not sure about the colours - especially the sky. Would I have said that if you hadn’t told me you’d adjusted the colours? Maybe, maybe not.

I’m fairly poor with colour, useless even, so take my words with a large grain of salt.

I'm going to throw my counter view and say I like the strong contrast between the yellow glow of the stairwell and rich blues of the sky, good use of complementary colors here.

It would be interesting to see the previously unedited pic to compare- and maybe a monochrome for Mr MacKillop

Tough call. I like them both.

The black and white is nice Brian, works great with the stone work. I'm glad you shared the original as your edit really enhanced the scene. Actually made it seem like two different times of day, and carries much greater sense of balance to my eye.

The black and white is nice Brian, works great with the stone work. I'm glad you shared the original as your edit really enhanced the scene. Actually made it seem like two different times of day, and carries much greater sense of balance to my eye.
Thank you, Wes. I appreciate your comments. As I recall there was less ambient light than the sensor collected. It was dark enough that I felt it necessary to steady the camera against a wall to get decent image. (Shooting always at ISO 100 with the DP Merrill due to its very poor higher ISO performance.) I think my original post, which is darker, gives a more realistic sense of what the light level was.

That works for me, but I have never been one to stick with realistic colour in my personal images and I like the cross-process look this gives. I like the B&W variant over the 'straight' colour one, but I think the altered colour variant is my favourite. And I like the image too, especially that light in the slower centre.

That works for me, but I have never been one to stick with realistic colour in my personal images and I like the cross-process look this gives. I like the B&W variant over the 'straight' colour one, but I think the altered colour variant is my favourite. And I like the image too, especially that light in the slower centre.
Thanks Pete. Appreciated.

Back