Critique Welcomed A Surfer's Journey

Brian Moore

I shot these images from the pier. There were a lot of people shooting pictures of the surfers that day. My 28mm lens looked a puny weakling compared to the bazookas most everyone else was using.

Olympus OM-2n and Olympus Zuiko 28/3.5 with Ilford FP4+ processed in Rodinal.

Three braw shots, laddie! Love them all. I especially love the horizon in the first ;)
Shhhh! Don't mention that horizon, Rob. I don't want the Horizon Police haranguing me. (Surprised I made it this far without rebuke.) But thank you for the comments, Rob. Much appreciated.

I think, (there I go boasting again ), that you have done a great series. One that shows the show, next one with leading lines and a centre point that catches my eyes and the last one where he is hardly noticed among the chaos of waves. Just lovely way of doing it Brian. It's not always the size that matters, evidently.

I think, (there I go boasting again ), that you have done a great series. One that shows the show, next one with leading lines and a centre point that catches my eyes and the last one where he is hardly noticed among the chaos of waves. Just lovely way of doing it Brian. It's not always the size that matters, evidently.
That's very nice of you to say Ivar. Much appreciated.

When the second image here came up on Flickr, I read it as a tiny wave which you were standing in and took a shot as it passed, then saw the surfer, so i got the experience of two for one .
I'd say the horizon is so far away on the first it is the curvature of the earth ;)

When the second image here came up on Flickr, I read it as a tiny wave which you were standing in and took a shot as it passed, then saw the surfer, so i got the experience of two for one .
I'd say the horizon is so far away on the first it is the curvature of the earth ;)
Yeah,...that's it. It's the curvature of the earth! Yeah,...that what I shot: the curvature of the earth! ;)

Thanks, Julian. Glad you liked the second shot a second time. Indeed, I never thought of it like you did. I can see how it may appear like I am standing in the surf. That gives me a new perspective, too. :)

Yeah,...that's it. It's the curvature of the earth! Yeah,...that what I shot: the curvature of the earth! ;)

Thanks, Julian. Glad you liked the second shot a second time. Indeed, I never thought of it like you did. I can see how it may appear like I am standing in the surf. That gives me a new perspective, too. :)
I hate to be a kill joy, but Brian isn't that the horizon curved by the 28mm wide angle:D

Have to agree with Pete, that second one is a cracker, certainly gives a sense of scale...

I think all those with 'Big' lenses would have missed the trick Brian, scale and action from so many differing view points that work nicely for me...a 'prime' example of getting more into the shot...

But the 28 is so much more interesting. I really like the diagonal surf one and the last shot has a wonderful abstract quality. Beautiful tones on that one. The first one is classic. So much more to see than a zoom shot. Love the light reflected on the water running parallel to the pier!!!

Have to agree with Pete, that second one is a cracker, certainly gives a sense of scale...
Thanks, Dougie.
I think all those with 'Big' lenses would have missed the trick Brian, scale and action from so many differing view points that work nicely for me...a 'prime' example of getting more into the shot...
Appreciated, Kev. Thanks.
But the 28 is so much more interesting. I really like the diagonal surf one and the last shot has a wonderful abstract quality. Beautiful tones on that one. The first one is classic. So much more to see than a zoom shot. Love the light reflected on the water running parallel to the pier!!!
Thanks a lot, Steve.

Back