A Wee Trip With A Wee Trip

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
I spied an Olympus Trip in my local charity shop for £15 (including a useless Miranda flash gun). I had one before, but after loaning it to my daughter, never saw it again! So, this one is for me...no one else will get their hands on it!

£15.jpg

I spent a day visiting my home town of Dundee on the east coast of Scotland, a 70-minute train journey north from Edinburgh, so thought that would be a good time to put the first film through the Trip - I found a roll of Portra in my drawer: perfect. I wasn't sure the camera would work at all, but all seems fine. It's such a comfortable camera to hold, and easy enough for even me to use!

So, six of the best...according to me. In no particular order:

1. Into The Light - we visited the Degree Show at the Art College, and light was streaming through the window. I thought this would be a challenge for the Trip, but it sailed through with flying, sorry, muted colours!

Into The Light.jpg

2. From inside the train, approaching Dundee. That's the normally "Silvery Tay", looking very blue indeed. I've never seen this effect before, when shooting from inside a train. I quite like it, but wish I'd caught more of the cloud on the far left:

Blue Tay.jpg

3. Student workbooks, available for perusal:

workbooks.jpg

4. Sailing. I took a little time (four hours!) lining up this shot (ok, only 20 seconds - but that felt like four hours to me!). Very thankful the yacht obliged to drift into the scene!

sailing.jpg

5. Broughty-Ferry Beach...five miles north of Dundee, where we used to go on our holidays when I was very young. Over the water is the northern coastline of Fife, which we regarded as "abroad"!

BFbeach2.jpg

6. Broughty-Ferry Beach II - I like the tracks: going or coming?

BFbeach1.jpg

Pete might recall the last time I used an Olympus Trip was for a trip back to Dundee, tracing my old haunts. I didn't remember this until half an hour ago.

Last edited:
Four hours (20 sec) lining up that fence shot,...? There is no moss growing on you! (I'm sure I would have been at it for 6 hours at least!) A fine set of images, Rob. Was it the Portra 400? Lovely film.

I spied an Olympus Trip in my local charity shop for £15 (including a useless Miranda flash gun). I had one before, but after loaning it to my daughter, never saw it again! So, this one is for me...no one else will get their hands on it!

View attachment 14137

I spent a day visiting my home town of Dundee on the east coast of Scotland, a 70-minute train journey north from Edinburgh, so thought that would be a good time to put the first film through the Trip - I found a roll of Portra in my drawer: perfect. I wasn't sure the camera would work at all, but all seems fine. It's such a comfortable camera to hold, and easy enough for even me to use!

So, six of the best...according to me. In no particular order:

1. Into The Light - we visited the Degree Show at the Art College, and light was streaming through the window. I thought this would be a challenge for the Trip, but it sailed through with flying, sorry, muted colours!

View attachment 14132

2. From inside the train, approaching Dundee. That's the normally "Silvery Tay", looking very blue indeed. I've never seen this effect before, when shooting from inside a train. I quite like it, but wish I'd caught more of the cloud on the far left:

View attachment 14131

3. Student workbooks, available for perusal:

View attachment 14133

4. Sailing. I took a little time (four hours!) lining up this shot (ok, only 20 seconds - but that felt like four hours to me!). Very thankful the yacht obliged to drift into the scene!

View attachment 14134

5. Broughty-Ferry Beach...five miles north of Dundee, where we used to go on our holidays when I was very young. Over the water is the northern coastline of Fife, which we regarded as "abroad"!

View attachment 14135

6. Broughty-Ferry Beach II - I like the tracks: going or coming?

View attachment 14136

Pete might recall the last time I used an Olympus Trip was for a trip back to Dundee, tracing my old haunts. I didn't remember this until half an hour ago.
I like your wee trip Rob. It surely expanded my imagination of wee....

Back