A Week in North Wales - Mostly 35mm compact photos

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
I will post some of the images as time goes on for specific feedback, but I thought it might be interesting to see all of these in context, see the reasons why I was using the cameras I did, the film choices etc ... Basically I am trying to find a way to make looking at and reading about my holiday photos en mass sound more interesting ... :)

Ive written a pair of blog posts for 35mmc, I did use my R2a which isn't strictly a compact, but I only used it for a small percentage of the final images. I am well and truly hooked on 35mm compact cameras now! for my "style" and patience with this as a hobby, they just fit!

Cameras used were the Fuji Klasse W, Ricoh GR1s, Konica Big Mini and Voigtlander R2a ... I had a bloody brilliant week!

This is part one - A Week in Wales – Part 1

llanfair caereinion train station by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

And part 2 A Week in Wales – Part 2

Trees in the mist by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

What a stunning set or sets Hamish

Love the quality throughout - both IQ and comps

Love the Portra look for it's more bleached beachy feel, but the Reala punch gets me every time.

The XP2 shots came out looking so nice - especially all the stone textures, and the weather.

You dev and scan people have done a super job - they look so clean that they could almost be mistaken for digital shots.

Looks like everyone had a wonderful time - and the shot of Connie, wrapped up against the 'warmth' of a British summer at the beach, is a postcard classic.

Hamish, not for a long while I have enjoyed looking through a blog so much. Many of those pictures will be family album classics, looking at them in a few years. The colours you have been getting I am very envious along with the quality of the images. I know if I could afford too, this site has made me realise I would use film only. I have certainly been able to learn a lot faster using digital but can imagine myself taking that step forward and using film, more, i hope so.
These small pocket 35mm are great to use. I picked up a Konica C35 last week and sadly the film did not develop. Old developer I suspect, totally clear film roll at the end. But using the camera was the best camera experience of late.

Last edited:
A brilliant pair of entries Hamish. I really enjoyed them. And if I was forced to choose just one picture that was not only excellent but would be there in years to come it would be Connie on the green bench. Superb. :)

Thanks Pete, yeah, I like that shot too, she rarely sits still ... food helps mind ... so it was nice to get a shot like this!

What a stunning set or sets Hamish

Love the quality throughout - both IQ and comps

Love the Portra look for it's more bleached beachy feel, but the Reala punch gets me every time.

The XP2 shots came out looking so nice - especially all the stone textures, and the weather.

You dev and scan people have done a super job - they look so clean that they could almost be mistaken for digital shots.

Looks like everyone had a wonderful time - and the shot of Connie, wrapped up against the 'warmth' of a British summer at the beach, is a postcard classic.

Hard to believe that these were deved at max speilman in town, on the cheap! The quality of the results I get back from them is really very good indeed!

I could have guessed you would like reala ... I have some more photos from a roll to post, just shots of Connie so I wasnt going to post them but i will if you are interested ... they came out a treat!

Hamish, not for a long while I have enjoyed looking through a blog so much. Many of those pictures will be family album classics, looking at them in a few years.

Thanks Julian, Very Kind

The colours you have been getting I am very envious along with the quality of the images. I know if I could afford too, this site has made me realise I would use film only. I have certainly been able to learn a lot faster using digital but can imagine myself taking that step forward and using film, more, i hope so.

Its worth it! I enjoy it so much more!

These small pocket 35mm are great to use. I picked up a Konica C35 last week and sadly the film did not develop. Old developer I suspect, totally clear film roll at the end. But using the camera was the best camera experience of late.

Have you checked the shutter? totally clear of course means totally unexposed ... when that has happened to me in the past it has often been a jammed shutter that caused it!

You should have taken the trip, on the trip :D those are really nice images though :) make me think about getting some 35mm compacts.

Great pics. Hamish :)
I think some 35mm compacts are superb. I own/have owned some tasty 35mm cameras, but one I never parted with and never will is my Yashica Electro 35 CC. It is a stunning little film camera. Must have owned it for over 40 years now, and had to renew light seals recently (so easy). Other than that, it just does the job.

Thanks David, I know I should! I had every intention ... but forgot it! Was very annoyed with my self!

- - - Updated - - -

I had a an electro 35 GTX (?) ... I wish I had kept it now!

I am living the AF dream at the mo though ... Lazy!

Back