Advice Re: Film Developing And Which Film

Shane Johns

I bought a few film cameras about 3 years ago and took one of them - an Olympus Trip 35 - to San Francisco with me in 2010. I took this pic with the Trip...I think I may have used Ilford B&W film and had the roll developed by a supermarket (mainly because they were much cheaper).

I'm thinking of doing much more film photography as I love the analogue look. This is probably more a question for our UK residents but which processing place do you use or would recommend? I would only want the images placed on CD so I can download them. I'm looking for good quality but price would be an important consideration.

Also, which black and white films would you recommend? I used Ilford, but I know nothing about the other films and their effects.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

image.jpg

I like that picture, Shane!

For B&W I shoot mostly Kodak Tri-X, which is 400 ASA. However, lately I shot some Ilford Delta 100 and HP5. The HP5 showed a pronounced grain, which I think was due to the way I processed it. (I developed both the Delta 100 and the HP5 in the same developer at the same time, and only the HP5 showed the grain, thus demonstrating something of the different qualities of the two films.) I can't help at all with developing B&W in the UK. However, I can say that both Kodak and Ilford make B&W film that can be processed in color chemicals. So you could have them done by Boots or whoeever else processes color. The Kodak is called BW400CN. The Ilford is XP2.

Hi Shane - that shot ain't too shabby! :)

As Brian says - C41 mono film is available and easily developed in an hour on the high street. Boots, Max Spielmann, Snappysnaps, Jessops - plenty to choose from. For true black and white stuff that I care more about - I use Ilford Labs postal service. All of these do just develop and scan to CD. However, some of the scans are not that great. I've only used Snappysnaps once (1hr service in Oxford) and the quality was on a par with Ilford Labs - and a high res scan. Impressed!

Thanks Brian and Dave :)

I've found that some larger branches of ASDA can process film - it costs £2.50 to develop each roll and £1 to put it on CD. They will put 2-3 rolls onto one CD for the same price, £1. The only thing they said is that they can only process C41 (whatever that means).

I'm guessing I will be limited to only a few films because of this? Will this impact on me getting good results?

C41 is basic colour print processing - but the two black and white films mentioned above are also C41 process...

Ilford XP2 Super 400 - Boots usually sell this - but I get mine from Mathers of Lancashire

Kodak BW400CN - Max Spielmann sell this.

Great - thanks guys! I may start with the Ilford XP2, since many of you use it.

Would something like an Olympus Trip be ok for decent pics - I mean the quality? I also have an OM-1N but in truth, I haven't used it and apart from the split prism focussing, I'm not 100% sure how to get the exposure right.

The trip is great as long as you work within it's limitations.

Here are some of mine on XP2.

In good daylight

In poor light

Yeah, the trip is a very good lens on the front of a very simple tool! Be good to use first so your concentration is left to composition rather than worrying about all the other stuff!

Hamish and Rob - I love your photo sets!

Just so nice... I can't put my finger on why - probably the fact they were taken with film.

Blimey! So film photography needn't be expensive! :cool:

Apart from Agfa Vista 200 and Fuji Superia 400, which other C41 compatible films (colour) would be recommended?

Back