Critique Welcomed Agathla Peak

Brian Moore

Agathla Peak rises 1500 feet above the surrounding plain in Navajo County, Arizona. It's not far from Monument Valley. As the name of the county implies, this is Navajo country, and Agathla Peak is considered sacred by the Navajo. It is a "volcanic plug," not unlike Shiprock in New Mexico, which also is sacred to the Navajo and which I have posted a picture of previously.

Canon F1 with Kodak Tri-X processed in Rodinal.

Agathla Peak by brian moore, on Flickr

I like this shot Brian! You see the surrounding area and the rock is clearly the center of attention. I can see why it would have been a power place for the Navajo. I've been to the other quadrants of Arizona but not to that area. I need to go back!

I like this shot Brian! You see the surrounding area and the rock is clearly the center of attention. I can see why it would have been a power place for the Navajo. I've been to the other quadrants of Arizona but not to that area. I need to go back!
Thanks Gary. The area is well-worth a visit. I want to go back, too.

it looks a lot like shiprock. the dark rock against the lighter desert is pretty interesting. was the rock that much darker or was it a cloud?
It’s the same kind of volcanic extrusion as Ship Rock. Almost the same height, too. The rock wasn’t darker, nor was there a cloud casting a shadow. It was just strongly backlit and I didn’t quite nail the exposure. (I didn’t meter it; went with the old Sunny 16 Rule.) Thanks Beth.

Back