Brian Moore

Los Angeles, California. The faded name on the brickwork is a famous one.

John A. Roebling, a German immigrant to the US, was a designer and builder of suspension bridges. He designed the Brooklyn Bridge. John A. Roebling died before the Brooklyn Bridge was built. (Of tetanus; his foot having been crushed by a ferry while he was surveying the site.) His son, Washington Roebling, completed the project. (He became permanently debilitated by decompression sickness as a result of breathing compressed air while supervising the dig for the bridge's piers; as a result he oversaw the construction from his apartment window which overlooked the project.)

I understand that the building in this image was built around 1913, long after Roebling died. The Roebling company, however, continued until the 1950s as makers of wire rope and other steel products. The Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco is suspended with Roebling wire rope.

The beer isn't bad either.

First shot: Canon P with Canon 35/1.8
Second shot: Olympus XA2
Both images made with Kodak Tri-X 400 processed in Rodinal.
Third shot: i-Phone

The building of the Brooklyn bridge was the subject of a very interesting TV documentary, I saw some time ago. If I remember correctly Washington Roebling's illness led doctors to a much better understanding of decompression sickness and subsiquent better treatments.

That is a very interesting building, particularly like the second image, seems to combine industrial architecture with art deco stlyes.

The building of the Brooklyn bridge was the subject of a very interesting TV documentary, I saw some time ago. If I remember correctly Washington Roebling's illness led doctors to a much better understanding of decompression sickness and subsiquent better treatments.

That is a very interesting building, particularly like the second image, seems to combine industrial architecture with art deco stlyes.
There's a wonderful book by David McCollough: The Great Bridge. At the time (the 1870s) doctors could not understand why the men digging the piers were getting sick. Some wouldn't get sick and some would get sick but the sickness might develop sooner or later after the men came up from digging under the caissons. Such was the irregularity of the onset of the symptoms that the sickness wasn't initially associated with the compressed air that the men were breathing inside the caissons. But you're right, Dave. The building of the Brooklyn Bridge led to an understanding of what was at first called "caisson disease" and later became popularly known as "the bends."

Thanks for your comments Dave. Much appreciated.

I once played an old banjo tune called The Caissons Go Rolling By - never understood the title.

Fine shots, sir, and I like the warmth of the iPhone shot. Nice bit of history there too. There's a new road bridge across the Forth, which looks finished but hasn't yet opened to the public.

Excellent images Brian. Just love the colour and the face off of Olga and the Beer, It is good company you keep.
I'm very picky about the company I keep, Julian. Only the best plastic cameras and brews.:) Well, now that I think about it,...any plastic camera and any brew.o_O Good company nonetheless! Thanks Julian.

Back