All Change

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
After recently moving house, I realised how much STUFF I actually have, and how 90% of it could disappear without me missing it. So, I'm engaged in a major cull, but unfortunately my photography equipment got caught up in my zeal! Only one camera escaped being packed off to Ffordes for selling, the Konica Hexar AF, which, terrified, hid itself at the back of a cupboard. It lives to tell the tale.

To my amazement, Ffordes said that there was enough there to cover the new Leica Q2 Monochrom. In my somewhat twisted brain, I saw this as getting a great camera for free - I haven't paid a penny for it, yet here it is. Of course, I'm ignoring the fact that the equipment I sent them must have cost something...but we'll ignore that.

So, why the Q2M? Well, I do like a fixed-lens camera. I know it doesn't make sense to most mortals, but there is something about it which calms me before a shoot. The Hexar is also a fixed-lenser. The Q2M is a Monochrom camera - my favourite camera before it arrived was the Leica Monochrom, the first iteration thereof. But it had problems. The Q2M is brand new, and works like a dream. It arrived on Christmas Eve...perfect timing. The lens is beautiful, and with a twist also does macro, or at least a good close up.

I haven't had a lot of time with it since then, but we did go for a freezing walk on New Year's Day. I'm now content with one digital, one film camera. You read it here first: I am finally happy with my camera equipment! Big thanks to the guys at Ffordes!

branches2.jpg

brig.jpg

Ferry Glen 04.jpg

leaf.jpg

leaf3.jpg

Rhona.jpg

straw man running.jpg

Last edited:
It must be a terrifying business for a camera coming into the MacKillop household, especially when left exposed to the Konica and hearing the tales of those that went before (for some reason I imagine that Hexar as speaking with a voice not dissimilar to Fraser from Dad's Army)! ;)

Well, the new arrival certainly seems to fit in with the MacKillop aesthetic. After Steve asked the question I was looking at this camera to see what is was all about and can see why it appeals. Although I use the M-mount cameras, in reality I usually shoot with one lens and rarely carry others with me.

And as for the images, they are a fine set and I especially like the dancing grass: it feels almost neolithic

fraser.jpg

Yes, the dancing grass is a favourite. The things they get up to when they think we're not looking :)

The Q2M is not for everyone, but I'm not everyone, and it suits me fine. Did I mention it was free? ;)

Back