Critique Welcomed An Airport Somewhere

Brian Moore

The past couple of weeks I've been processing some rolls of film that have languished unprocessed for several years. I imagine the roll this image on was from 2019 or so. I don't remember which airport this was.

Holga 120N with Lomography Redscale film.

An Airport Somewhere by brian moore, on Flickr

Truly poetic, Brian. It conveys a sense of abstract loneliness, but without the loneliness of pain. Do those chairs represent our stages in life? Have we reached the end of the line? As an Italian poet of the last century said, "Everyone stands alone on the heart of the earth, pierced by a sunbeam: and it is at once evening."

Wow! That's amazing. Love it. I'm not usually a fan of redscale, but everything about this image is just perfect...👌 feels like a scene straight out of a slightly romantic adventure novel from the 1940s. :)
Thanks Stevenson. I’m usually not keen on redscale myself although I have shot a couple of likeable rolls overexposed by a couple of stops. Overexposing produced a far more mellow, almost yellow, color palate that was pleasing to my eye. Hard to get that with a Holga, though.

Truly poetic, Brian. It conveys a sense of abstract loneliness, but without the loneliness of pain. Do those chairs represent our stages in life? Have we reached the end of the line? As an Italian poet of the last century said, "Everyone stands alone on the heart of the earth, pierced by a sunbeam: and it is at once evening."
Thank you Gianluca. I appreciate your sensitivity to this.

The past couple of weeks I've been processing some rolls of film that have languished unprocessed for several years.
I'm not sure that I understand how one can end up with rolls (plural) of undeveloped film. I'm gearing up to again be able to do my own developing. One thing that I used to do regularly was only shoot as many exposures as I needed prior to developing the roll. Of course, 50 years ago film was less expensive, and you could still get rolls of 135 with only 12 exposures...

It has a "dreamy" feeling to it, could very well be a story in itself. I like it a lot !

Re forgotten rolls left undeveloped, I went through this once: a roll of Portra 400, left in a baggage which went missing between flights, in a very small inside pocket. The bag arrived a couple of weeks after. Completely forgot about that roll, found it after almost a year when I my wife cleaned the zillions of pockets inside. So yeah, it can happen.

Now that you mention it, I remember that I, too, in my small way, have films in the attic that I never developed, probably forty years old. They are not associated with good memories and they stay there.

Nice image of an airport which could be anywhere in the world - same seating, lighting, layout, separation of arrival and departure groups ... - and a lonely lost soul about to leave the earth.

I love this Brian.
I normally cringe when I see photos taken on this kind of film, but I saw it on your Flickr this morning and was struck by how different it was from every other image I have seen shot on Lomo Redscale. I wondered how it had been done and now I know!
For the first time ever, I have been seriously pondering buying some for myself, so thanks for that.

i've never seen an airport this deserted looking. i'm not a fan of the reddish color, but i also can't imagine it in any other color or greyscale after seeing it like this.
Seems like RPFrs have an aversion to the red. That includes me. As I said earlier I quite like the results from redscale film when it is a stop or two overexposed.

I get what you're saying Beth. Thanks for commenting.

For the first time ever, I have been seriously pondering buying some for myself, so thanks for that
You can make redscale yourself, Chris. I have. At least I have with 35mm. It was quite easy to reverse the film and rewind it into its canister. Perhaps you already know this. Nevertheless thank you for your comments.

Back