An Idiot American's World Cup Prediction

Steve Boykin

Germany vs Argentina in the final.
The Germans have the easiest path to the last four. My surprise is Holland beating Brazil in the first round after the group stages.
I have Italy vs Germany and Spain vs Argentina.
Germans win the final vs Argentina.

Also, I believe Holland beat Brazil after the group stages last time, so for them to do it twice in consecutive WCs would surprise me too.

Also, I believe Holland beat Brazil after the group stages last time, so for them to do it twice in consecutive WCs would surprise me too.

I actually really like Holland as a sort of dark horse in the tournament. They have two of the best players in Van Persie and Robben.

It's a lot of pressure on Brazil, and it appears to be a huge mess there with the tournament. I think they will choke.

The groups are really strange. If you look at the bracket even the worst case scenario only has Germany playing France to advance to the last 4. No way Argentina doesn't win Group F. I can't see Portugal or Ghana beating the Germans. Note I didn't mention the US.... Love Klinsman, but really we will be lucky to beat Ghana.

My final 8 are

Holland vs Italy

Germany vs Ecuador

Spain vs Uruguay

Argentina vs Portugal

I just think this is a very good German team. I do have my doubts about them being about to score.

There is always a first for everything and if anyone can win over here it will be the Germans.

Tough draw for England. Do you think they will advance past the Group Stages. That Group is murder.

Have you looked at Belgium? They have a very strong squad and a group that is less challenging than most others it would seem. As for England,...they're definitely in a tough group. Even the minnow, Costa Rica, can bite. For me there is weakness in England's defense: Smalling, Johnson and Jones can be exploited by Uruguay's Suarez and perhaps Cavani. However, I think England and Italy have more depth overall than Uruguay and both should go through.

Last edited:
I actually really like Holland as a sort of dark horse in the tournament. They have two of the best players in Van Persie and Robben.

It's a lot of pressure on Brazil, and it appears to be a huge mess there with the tournament. I think they will choke.

The groups are really strange. If you look at the bracket even the worst case scenario only has Germany playing France to advance to the last 4. No way Argentina doesn't win Group F. I can't see Portugal or Ghana beating the Germans. Note I didn't mention the US.... Love Klinsman, but really we will be lucky to beat Ghana.

My final 8 are

Holland vs Italy

Germany vs Ecuador

Spain vs Uruguay

Argentina vs Portugal

I just think this is a very good German team. I do have my doubts about them being about to score.

There is always a first for everything and if anyone can win over here it will be the Germans.

Tough draw for England. Do you think they will advance past the Group Stages. That Group is murder.
They think they will win it, as usual:).

I can't see Holland winning it, they have a history of blowing up at tournaments... it's in their nature and as Brian said, no european team has ever won in the americas.

Have you looked at Belgium? They have a very strong squad and a group that is less challenging than most others it would seem. As for England,...they're definitely in a tough group. Even the minnow, Costa Rica, can bite. For me there is weakness in England's defense: Smalling, Johnson and Jones can be exploited by Uruguay's Suarez and perhaps Cavani. However, I think England and Italy have more depth overall than Uruguay and both should go through.

OK Belgium looked pretty good today considering how Algeria played to win 1-0.

Germany looked like...Germany. Love Muller baiting Pepe. :) Muller's definitely got a future in Hollywood if he decideds to give up football. Maybe Jurgen can hook him up with an agent.

And just WOW on Holland vs Spain. Spain looked old. Van Persie's header was the best goal of the tournament so far. Hard to see how anyone beats that one. Casillas just stood there with an "OH SH@T!" look on his face.

I still like Germany, Argentina, Holland.

Here in Texas I am cheering for Mexico today. 0-0 at half time.

I can't see Holland winning it, they have a history of blowing up at tournaments... it's in their nature and as Brian said, no european team has ever won in the americas.

They looked pretty impressive last Friday. I think that coach might have them playing differently. Good hire by Man U.

Germany looked pretty good too. I actually thought England looked pretty good. Everybody expects too much from Wayne Rooney. I was really impressed with Welbeck and Sturridge.

The USA looked terrible as usual. Perhaps Low will have some compassion for his buddy Jurgen. :)

They looked pretty impressive last Friday. I think that coach might have them playing differently. Good hire by Man U.

Germany looked pretty good too. I actually thought England looked pretty good. Everybody expects too much from Wayne Rooney. I was really impressed with Welbeck and Sturridge.

The USA looked terrible as usual. Perhaps Low will have some compassion for his buddy Jurgen. :)
England did look ok. Raheem Sterling was excellent, and so too were Wellbeck and Henderson.

Have to say when I watch Brazil the politics of these tournaments is highlighted. I could not see Brazil losing that first game however badly they played, it was never going to be allowed to happen from what I saw. Yes England at least tried and at times looked very good. Still a shame that we pick individuals rather than a team, when we stop that we could do far better.
Germany for me are the best team to date, if they keep it at that level no one could moan if they won the tournament. So far it looks as if a final of Germany and Holland, I dont believe this current Dutch squad of players will capitulate. If I really knew what I was talking about I'd put a bet on :D

Have to say when I watch Brazil the politics of these tournaments is highlighted. I could not see Brazil losing that first game however badly they played, it was never going to be allowed to happen from what I saw. Yes England at least tried and at times looked very good. Still a shame that we pick individuals rather than a team, when we stop that we could do far better.
Germany for me are the best team to date, if they keep it at that level no one could moan if they won the tournament. So far it looks as if a final of Germany and Holland, I dont believe this current Dutch squad of players will capitulate. If I really knew what I was talking about I'd put a bet on :D

I would have to agree so far. I wonder if Chile will send Spain home.

I would have to agree so far. I wonder if Chile will send Spain home.
We'll find out later today and quite looking forward to the match, if I can look forward to a football match. I suspect Spain will get their act together tonight, sometimes a wakeup call is needed, Spain have had theirs. They do have such talented players but of course this is an old team.

My bad I meant a Sterling, not Sturridge. He looked very good.
Yes I suspect the value of Sterling quadrupled over night. He is that exciting type of player who can dribble past player which the crowds love. On the flip side he was an unknown, which helped him, now we will see how good he is when the opposition have tactics to subdue him.

Back