Critique Welcomed Arboreal Embrace

It is fascinating to observe the shapes the woody parts of plants take as they grow. Looking at this photo makes me wonder what kind of plant it is (sorry, but a certain botanophile past of mine has entered my veins) and how much of this acquired form is due to growth under difficult environmental conditions or how much is due to pruning by us humans.

But then we ourselves, as we are today, when we look ourselves in the mirror, recognise that we are the result of the same causes.

Nice photo @Peter Roberts. I imagine it was difficult to shoot it on film and develop it.

I can feel the hurt of its bones resonating with mine.

It does make you think of the energy pushing through the veins to conform to these structures. What forces are at play. Our resident botanist suggests difficult conditions or human interference. After watching a David Attenborough documentary on plants last year, it is hard not to imagine they have minds (plants, not botanists!).

I love how a photo can trigger such thoughts - and I especially love how Gianluca drew a connection with we humans - and make us forget about such tiresome things as composition, post-processing, cameras and lenses!

I have no problem with the idea that trees are intelligent. Indeed, there's a level of human hubris in thinking we're the only ones. It's more our inability to see it..

I have no problem with the idea that trees are intelligent. Indeed, there's a level of human hubris in thinking we're the only ones. It's more our inability to see it..

I'm certainly not someone who believes in fairy tales, I need scientific proof, but there are various studies that are exploring the possibility that plants may have some form of "intelligence" and I find them very fascinating.

Every time I eat salad (which is still alive!) I feel like a cannibal. No kidding.

It is fascinating to observe the shapes the woody parts of plants take as they grow. Looking at this photo makes me wonder what kind of plant it is (sorry, but a certain botanophile past of mine has entered my veins) and how much of this acquired form is due to growth under difficult environmental conditions or how much is due to pruning by us humans.

But then we ourselves, as we are today, when we look ourselves in the mirror, recognise that we are the result of the same causes.

Nice photo @Peter Roberts. I imagine it was difficult to shoot it on film and develop it.

I can feel the hurt of its bones resonating with mine.
Thanks, Gianluca.

The contorted shape that this tree, or it may be some sort of creeper, has acquired is due to conditions. The photo was taken in one of the last remaining parts of untouched ancient woodland left in this part of London. It is truely a magical place were time seems to have stood still for many centuries. The trees and undergrowth are packed tightly together and each struggles for its own survival. We are very lucky to live no more than a 15 minute walk away and it never ceases to amaze us.

The shape I saw as an embrace, perhaps hugging itself with satisfaction it having survived. On the other hand, yes there is hurt and pain there because it's survival has come at a cost. Interestingly when my wife saw this image she said, "That looks how my bones are feeling".

Shooting it on film? Not as difficult as you may think. Something like this I tend to bracket: one exposure at what the meter may suggest then one shot a stop under and one shot over. Looking at the negative strip this image would have been the last, at a stop over with the shadows then increased in post.

Back