Every Window Holds a Story

Every window tells a different story. And I love the consideration shown in the holes in the lower-right door for mice to travel back and forth through...

No meaning, Peter? You must have had a reason to stop in front of it, and set up your shot. And meaning also in sharing it here. It must have at some point meant something to you, no matter how fleeting.

There is meaning for ourselves. Meaning for others. And meaning in itself, what Gianluca refers to: the many stories of its life, when the building held meaning for those who used it as owners and as visitors.

I’m thinking it must be very hard if not impossible to do something devoid of meaning…Hmm…?

At least there are directions on how to find coffee! :)

Every window tells a different story. And I love the consideration shown in the holes in the lower-right door for mice to travel back and forth through...

No meaning, Peter? You must have had a reason to stop in front of it, and set up your shot. And meaning also in sharing it here. It must have at some point meant something to you, no matter how fleeting.

There is meaning for ourselves. Meaning for others. And meaning in itself, what Gianluca refers to: the many stories of its life, when the building held meaning for those who used it as owners and as visitors.

I’m thinking it must be very hard if not impossible to do something devoid of meaning…Hmm…?
I think that perhaps I didn't phrase that very well.

To me there is a difference between 'reason' and 'meaning'. I took the shot for a reason: I found the building interesting and wished to document. I had no conscious intention of expressing a 'meaning'.

When I studied the resultant image I noticed something I wasn't aware of at the time. The building was actually projecting its own meaning to me. It was speaking. It was saying, "This is me. I proudly wear my history on my sleeve. Take me as I am and read the stories I have to tell, they're all there, make of them what you will."

It would be dishonest of me to say that I wished to impose that meaning on the building when I took the shot. Rather it was the building itself that imposed its meaning on me later.

All rather fanciful perhaps , which is what I meant by "where your imagination may take you." But perhaps not so fanciful if Homer Simpson, Johnny Cash and Charles Dickens have managed to get in on the act. What amazing company! After all its years of existence I'm sure that the building is broad minded and be flattered. I must make a point a telling it next time I see it.

Back