Architecture of War

Shaun Haselden

This rather grim, bleak scene is a left over from WWII. Lincolnshire in the UK was home to around 84 airfields back at the close of WWII some of which had Battle HQ bunkers. This, shot in 1987 was one of them. This was at what used to be RAF Binbrook.

Apologies straight away for the dark stain on the left of the image. This was my first 120 roll from my then new Bronica and the stain is caused by a processing fault. Paterson info on their tanks should not be believed.

Attachments

• Battle HQ Royal Air Force.jpg
    Battle HQ Royal Air Force.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 15
Brian, I have considered this so many times but never got off the starting blocks.

A reminder of times gone by, still resolutly standing there long past it's useful life.

Have you ever watched "Abandoned Egineering" on the Yesterday channel? Lots of old military structures have featured, fascinating series.

Dave yes I have watched a few of the programs. Love old derelict military stuff, it always looks so overengineered.

Carrying on with the 'Architecture of War' theme, here is a shot taken back around 2008 on film. Huge concrete pillbox at Cayton Bay in the East Riding of Yorkshire. It started it's life on the surface a couple of hundred feet higher up than where it is now; on the beach. Mamiya RB67 with Fuji Acros 100 film and 90mm lens.

Attachments

• Cayton Bay Pillbox V2.jpg
    Cayton Bay Pillbox V2.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 7
And another 'Architecture of War' shot taken around 2008 on the beach at Fraisthorpe in the East Riding of Yorkshire. This is or was a beach light shelter that started it's days much farther inland from where it is now. Mamiya RB67 with Fuji Acros 100 but a 50mm lens.

Attachments

• Beach Light Shelter East Riding V2.jpg
    Beach Light Shelter East Riding V2.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 7
Spurn Point, the East Riding of Yorkshire back around 1985. A partially uncovered brick WWII post that even the next year had completely gone. Bronica ETRS with 75mm lens. Fuji Velvia 50.

Attachments

• Spurn Point Underground Post 1987 V2.jpg
    Spurn Point Underground Post 1987 V2.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 7
Those are very imposing structures. Well captured too.
Certainly on a monolithic scale. I think the comparison between WW2 military engineering and civillian buildings is much the same as between a medieval castle and the peasent dwellings of the time.

The starkness in your captures sits well with the subjects Shaun, I agree with Brian's comments about this being an interesting project or mini series.

Keeping in with the 'Architecture of War' theme, this is a shot of a WWII Standby SET House or back up generator shed. This one is at what used to be RAF Carnaby.

Attachments

• Standby SET House.jpg
    Standby SET House.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 5
This one is a WWII concrete pillbox on the coast in the East Riding of Yorkshire.

Attachments

• Yorkshire Lozenge Pillbox.jpg
    Yorkshire Lozenge Pillbox.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 4
WWII Operations block on the old airfield at Kelstern in Lincolnshire. Did I say I love this subject ? LOL

Attachments

• WWII Operations Block.jpg
    WWII Operations Block.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 6
The old WWII WT Station at Swinhope in Lincolnshire close to what was RAF Binbrook. This has now been completely erased from the landscape.

Attachments

• WWII Lincolnshire WT Station.jpg
    WWII Lincolnshire WT Station.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 7
Back