Article: Our Members Top Four Photos of 2011......

Darren Turner

XProPhotographer
Your Top Four Photos of 2011......

Your Top Four Photos of 2011...

Well, it is that time of year again with only a little over 2 weeks left of 2011 so how about each of us sharing 4 of our personal favourite images that you have taken throughout this year.

They can be anything, Landscape, Street, Portrait, Motorsport. You name it, it can be one of your top 4.

Would also be good to mention a few words about what each image means to you and why you picked it

Last edited:
great thread , i'll give this some thought

IMG_0193Small.jpg

Heaton Hall
One of the largest parks / green spaces in greater Manchester area. Originally the grounds of a stately home which I think is no longer used. This place is very busy all year through with various events, shows, fairs & people generally enjoying a taste of the country side in a urban location.

This images was taken on the 4th January 2011. My nephews wanted to try his new bike out in the snow that he got for Christmas so off for a walk we went with my sister & nephew. It was a quieter day in the park but the conditions were quite treacherous. One of the very few people we saw on our walk around was this keep fit fanatic.

Although the sky is dark it was fully loaded with yet more snow in the coming days. I like the look of the abandon mansion in the back ground with a single jogger in red with contrasting coloured top against the snow.

IMG_0452Small.jpg

Morning Mist
A child hood haunt, a local park near Bolton, I spent many a happy weekend fishing by the small lodges with my Dad as a child. When I got older we were allowed to bike ride down the canal from my home town to this park on our own it was about 3 miles.

This was my first return for many years, the place hasn’t changed much, apart from the larger of the lakes has 1000s of swans and geese & god knows how many other types of bird there. A great place for the kids to come feed the ducks.

This was taken on 17th January 2011 (my birthday) I called into the park before meeting up with family later on. It was a very frosty freezing cold morning as the sun was rising there was tons of mist lingering around the few small lodges & ponds the park was busy with morning dog walkers when I spotted this view, fired away to slowly really as the lady was a little further away than I had liked

I still love the sense of winter, early morning and cold this images creates

whitbyatsunsetsmall.jpg

Whitby At Sunset
I was lucky enough to grab a few days away on 7th July 2011, I decided on Scarborough with a few days out here and there, this is Whitby, I have never been before, its a quaint yet busy place on the north yorkshire coast line. I had a great day until my 18-85mm lens packed up on me just after I had climbed 100s steps to get to the abbey ruins high above the town. GUTTED. (day after I bought my 24-70 F2.8 L lens to cure my depression)

I took this shot just after our Tea in a local famous fish & chip restaurant. It cost us £75 for 3, (don’t ask) as we walked back to the car sun was setting resulting in a warm glow across the estuary with some great reflections as the sun was setting.

Sunset2Small.jpg

Lads Sunset
This picture was taken on the 8th August 2011 sums up our summer holidays camping in Cornwall with my sister, nephew and his mate. Cornwall is an awesome place, so are the beaches, the people and generally the weather is pretty kind to us to. This was our 2nd ever camping trip of which I am becoming a huge fan.

The sunset, silhouettes and reflection in wet sand sands makes this classic style image that really works for me

Thanks for Looking

Daz

Last edited:
before I post my own i have to say Darren i LOVE that whitby one :)

IMG_1008.jpg

Taken on my iPhone this is by far the favourite photo I have ever taken on my phone, the whole area is my favourite place on earth and this was a sunny day, just relaxing after the little climb to the falls .... I look at this from time to time and still love it.

another.jpg

Waterfall at Glencoe
This for me is the best photo I have ever taken , i've been to the area many times but was never lucky enough to get all the elements right and on this day I decided to climb down and into the water and everything fell into place.

oldsmobile111.jpg

i'm a massive fan of 1950's american culture and was at a car show and this stood out by a mile, the guy who owned it was very chatty and was very pleasant indeed, the editing on this was also very tough in that people had to be edited out along with other cars and off all the reflective surfaces and thats what makes it one of my favourites. I'm also happy that it shows that I don;t only do landscapes :)

P5072888.jpg

I imagine there may be people who don't like this because of the effect on it but I love it , it was the first location of the dayand is the banks of Loch Shiel at Glenfinnan and it was so peaceful with only me and Allan anywhere near it.... turned out to be a great day all in and some really good shots were taken

Darren, that shot of Whitby is brilliant, it almost has a Meiterranean look to it.
Perhspas we should have a Hall of Fame gallery.....

Good idea Darren I'll have a look around later and see what I can dig out.

Some great shots to start with from both of you, I can't wait to see what else get posted:).

I'll start with a caveat. A couple of these photos were taken in 2010 but I didn't process them until 2011 so I'm counting them as 2011 photos. That's pretty much how it goes for me. I spend so much of my time out backpacking in the wilderness I often do not have time to really look at my photos and process them the way I want them until the following winter. So here are four of mine. I hope they stack up to the very good stuff I've already seen in this thread and expect to see later on.

The Chinese Wall
This is the famous Chinese Wall formation found deep in the Bob Marshall Wilderness of Montana. The Bob is the largest wilderness area of the lower 48 states in the US. The wall stretches for 12 miles and rises over 1,000 feet above the alpine meadows at its base. To reach this spot on the Wall requires a walk (or horseback ride) of about 30 miles. The only sounds to be heard are the sounds of nature and the sounds the visitor makes. On this day I had seen no one for several days, it was stunningly quiet and the air was clear. A beautiful morning in the wilderness.
2410-Chinese-Wall-800px.jpg

Stars over Sinopah
The magnificent starry sky of Montana as viewed in the Two Medicine Valley of Glacier National Park.
2547-starsoversinopah.jpg

Sinopah Sunrise
The same scene as the previous photo but this time at dawn. Pray Lake reflects Sinopah Mountain and the first rays of the rising sun. This photo and the one above taken from the same spot brings memories of many wilderness experiences with family and friends in one of America's best national parks.
2568-sinopahsunrise.jpg

Cathedral View
The view from the summit of Cathedral Peak in Glacier National Park includes a variety of magnificent alpine scenery. I attempted to climb this mountain in 1993 but was unsuccessful. Returning in 2009 I managed to reach the top. I climbed it again in 2011 with my son-in-law and another friend. This last time there was more snow and more wildflowers. The flowers in the foreground are called sky pilot. They grown in rocky areas only at high elevations and add to the theme of Cathedral Peak.
cathedral.jpg

And another view of Cathedral Peak with the crew on the summit. I'm the old guy.
fifty-13.jpg

Last edited:
Before I post mine There are going to be loads better than mine but here goes

Three wise Meerkats by davem44, on Flickr

Three meerkats although I got a lot of them this always was my personal favoite

Various-4.jpg by davem44, on Flickr

Our cat sammy taken lying down in the grass

CVR 40's day-129.jpg by davem44, on Flickr

taken at the Churnet Valley 40's day of a couple just about to kiss I think it was a set up but still love the shot

blackpool-45.jpg by davem44, on Flickr

Blackpool tower in sepia

the overwhelming feeling is there is a lot of talent on here :)

Wow!! Guys, these are fantastic!!
Daz, Whitby bay....Awesome!!
Davie, that first one of yours.... MINT.. I can't believe I missed that one!
Some great Talent on here folks..... I'll have a look through mine and post later. :)

Davie
lovely set of shots, i would be well chuffed if i had taken them. That reflection in your last shot is bl00dy brilliant. To say i am amazed that photo the iPhone took your first image is a total understatement why would you need the any other camera. Love the angle of view on the old car too

Ralph
words cant describe how envious i am of the place you live / visit i have never seen anything like these shots in my life, amazing landscapes with amazing photo that really to these places justice. The reflection of Sinopah Mountain is outstanding that would defo be framed on my wall if i had taken it. as for Cathedral View FAINT stunning view, how long did it take you to get to the view point from the start of the walk?

I have often tried at photo similar to your start shot and always failed........well done.

Dave
nothing at all wrong with your photography mate you in my opinion produce some great photos i can sit and watch meerkats for hours, they really are funny creatures. I also love the cat in the grass, brilliant & well done for searching sammy out & grabbing this awesome shot. Great timing on the kiss before departing of the train, i would love to go to one of these weekends

I love Blackpool and this is a classic view, the sepia is a good addition also.

Thanks for sharing and taking part in "Your Top Four Photos of 2011......" guys :)

the overwhelming feeling is there is a lot of talent on here :)
Here Here you aint wrong mate

Okay Here goes!! lets have a laugh then. :D:D:D

This is one of my fav wedding shots I did back in around March.

P5145332.jpg

Some of you will remember this one, 'through the fields of rape' I loved creating this scene, the armagedon feel to it, grabbing the last of what lives before heading to the storm that ends the world. lol

Follow me..... by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

Next, is a bit of fire. Tom was interested to see how the mummy was done, so he had the pleasure to see the light mummy at work.... and a spin at diglis. I was pleasently suprised how well it turned out considering I was under a bit of pressure to perform like a monkey. :D:D

Spinning wool Mummy by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

And finally, The light mummy at the graveyard, the story behind it is an essay, but I won't go into it. lol
This was a time when I really found out the joy of light painting.

Light Mummy at the grave yard by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

Well, that your lot I think, I'm stuck between alot of my favourites to choose from.... why did it have to be 4 Daz?!? Why 4!! :D:D:D

Here are mine ... well sort of ... there are quite a few im pleased with looking back which is always nice :)

Connie on her birthday
_DSC8525.jpg

house on a hill
houseandwallb.jpg

hannah on a bridge

intothelight-1.jpg

hannah on a hill
_DSC5112.jpg

Very nice Hamish spesh the last for me

I think when everyone has posted they should ALL be put in a 2011 Gallery with a link..

Dan
you have chosen some corkers here, light mummies & wire wool spinning is totally unbelievably awesome......... as for that strange character with the mask........brilliant inspirational and i want a gas mask lol

Hamish
great set, any picture you post with Connie is special and defo has the awwwwwwwwwww factor, but i especially like the bridge with Hannah & the Hannah on the hill shots are brilliant.

This is turning out to be a great post come on folks keep them coming :)

Back