Critique Welcomed At Boomtown Brewery

Brian Moore

A shot I took last year but only just developed a week or two ago. Boomtown Brewery in Los Angeles.

Olympus XA2 and Arista EDU 400 film processed in Rodinal.

My kind of shot. We are all ghosts, drifting through our daily lifes, here today, gone tomorrow. Wonderful. Most photography fixes something in time, a freeze frame. But here there is the flow of life, that somehow connects with something deep in our consciousness, as being more real than a single-moment snapshot. Well done, Brian.

My kind of shot. We are all ghosts, drifting through our daily lifes, here today, gone tomorrow. Wonderful. Most photography fixes something in time, a freeze frame. But here there is the flow of life, that somehow connects with something deep in our consciousness, as being more real than a single-moment snapshot. Well done, Brian.

Brilliantly effective, Brian and I love Rob's interpretation.

When I look at the faces of people in old photographs my first thought is usually rather a sad one. Face after face after face,..."deid, deid, deid!" Its the anonymity of life that strikes me through photographs; here are people once known, perhaps loved, now forgotten. Just faces now. To your point Rob,...that is what for me connects with something deep inside. I suppose its that deep seated longing to be remembered,...to leave something of value that says you were once here,...that everyone shares but few achieve.

Thank you Rob. Your comments are very meaningful.

Thank you, Pete. Much appreciated.

That is a great one, I agree with the earlier comments. I also note; it shows how fast the staff have to move to satisfy the customers just leaning against the bar!

I know what you mean about old pictures. It is old film footage that gets me; all the people walking, talking, going about their busness are now all gone. Were they happy? Did they have a good life? Did they achieve their ambitions? Who knows..

That is a great one, I agree with the earlier comments. I also note; it shows how fast the staff have to move to satisfy the customers just leaning against the bar!

I know what you mean about old pictures. It is old film footage that gets me; all the people walking, talking, going about their busness are now all gone. Were they happy? Did they have a good life? Did they achieve their ambitions? Who knows..
Thanks Dave!

Thanks Rob. Interesting stuff. For me a bit too much, though.

Exactly. I think there is a real skill to street photography, but it's not about being brazen.
I agree, Pete. I think it was Bruce Gilden who would get in people's faces and snap flash photos on the streets of NY. Never liked that. Seems so offensive to me. I think Gary Winogrand's work was wonderful.

I've just researched Gary Winogrand, having never heard of him. Great stuff, though, again, he did seem to concentrate on attractive women in the street, at least from the first fifty of so images that Google threw up. I'd be scared to do that these days. But he was certainly a great photographer, with a real gritty feel for street photography.

Leica user, it seems, but which one is this?

2638778423_418edeb222_z.jpg

Back