Back To Film

Joe Monahan

Hello all, I started with film as a kid (the family's Brownie) and even took a couple photography courses at university. I got away from photography for a couple decades but got back into it when digital became viable maybe 10 years ago. This year I bought a Sony NEX and immediately started exploring the old glass from my first exposure to photography - all the classic lenses I couldn't afford back when they were the latest and greatest.

Now I'm including vintage cameras in my exploration. Latest being some old Kodak folders that I'm converting to use 120 film. Plans to get a "new" darkroom set up this month and start re-learning about developing, printing, etc

Joe

Welcome Joe - you've picked a great place to come and share the film fascination

Lots of analogue nuts on here - and vintage camera buffs

You'll fit right in! :D

The Monahan genealogy ... one generation off the boat from Ireland. :) They eventually settled in central Iowa, draining the vast wetlands with a shovel and clay tile, and where I am today.
Chris, the look of old photographs have always interested me. There is an airiness thats hard to imitate with digital. A sense of space and place. I'm OK with digital, I like my NEX (though I use nothing but old glass on it), but I also enjoy the very deliberate, slow process of film photography with old cameras. Thats why I was so interested in getting these old cameras working again. More work to do for sure, but a start.

Welcome aboard Joe - looks like you've got some good stuff to share and I'm looking forward to seeing it :)

Ooooooh Joe, do yell/ us more of of your work........ Your right in the game with film users here.
:)

Back