Barber's Chair - My Psychosis

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
Chair (1).jpg

I passed by this scene yesterday, and immediately I was thrown back on my terror of getting my hair cut. Here are a few barber-related scenes from my life:

1. My father was an alcoholic. One day I was given money by my mother to get a haircut. My father took me there, and also took my money. He then whispered to me, "When the barber is finished, just run like crazy!", and then he went to the pub with my money. I ran like crazy.

2. I was taken to another barber, but this one had a side-gig, as the young ones say today, of repairing umbrellas in the shop. He used to get a kick out of terrorising children by firing up a blow-torch, then approaching them to burn their hair off. He got me bad. I started screaming...and again ran from the shop.

3. As an adult, I found myself in Istanbul...as you do. It was very hot, and I had longish hair at the time. Not being conversant in Turkish, I signalled to the barber to take off "this much", while showing my finger and thumb about half an inch apart. He then put a faded 1970s magazine on my lap, which was filled with Turkish women posing in swimming costumes. I was distracted by this strange gesture, and failed to notice he had powered-up an electric razor, with which he proceeded to cut a furrow through my hair, from back to front. He thought I had gestured, "Leave this much"! There was no point in stopping there, so I ended up with a suede cut.

4. My wife took me to a ladies' hairdresser - a world away from a male barber. She insisted I chose a certain lady to cut my hair. The woman at the reception was the one I was to choose. She at first tried to give me someone else, so I said, "No, I want YOU!". Even I noticed that for some bizarre reason, it sounded like a come on! She was horrified, and so was I. Nothing was further from my mind. She motioned me to the chair, and proceeded to silently butcher my hair. I never went back, and my wife is still mystified to this day as to how badly she cut my hair.

Now, if any of the above sounds untrue, believe me, it is all 100% true. I can hardly believe it myself, but in some ways it fits in with the rest of my life. To this day, I would rather sit in a dentist's chair than a barber's.

Last edited:
That's why I get my hair cut by my wife, who is very good at it.

There is an image here and then there is some text. Both are worthy of attention, but clearly the text requires a little more attention because it tells various things, all of them very personal and strong, or in some cases funny. Or maybe not, maybe the picture is more important than the text because the text evokes the past while the picture is now.

Hugo High Five for now. I need some time to develop a pertinent comment.

👍

I'll just say that the barber/dentist/sadist chair looks like it came out of a luxury sports car, and I don't understand why since it is anchored to the floor. The money counter in the foreground perhaps is the answer.

Great subject and colours. I would have liked more tonal contrast (but ignore me).

As the image is to my mind very poor, I attempted to distract you from it by relating a few barber-related moments of my life. Really, I knew the photo was poor while taking it, but used it to entertain us all with a little humour at my expense :)

As the image is to my mind very poor, I attempted to distract you from it by relating a few barber-related moments of my life. Really, I knew the photo was poor while taking it, but used it to entertain us all with a little humour at my expense :)

The photo wasn't poor in my opinion. It's the text that is more interesting and it adds value to the photo.

To be honest the photo is so interesting that it keeps suggesting to me an uninterrupted stream of thoughts and considerations, but I don't want to monopolize the discussion, and especially if I comment on the photo it seems that I want to detract from the importance of the text. So I find myself stuck in a 'double bind' - as some psychologists would say (Paul Watzlawick?) -, and I don't know how to free myself.

Gee Rob I don't blame you! That's enough bad experiences to put anyon off... 😬
I don't like going to hairdressers myself come to that, so I usually do a DIY job with a battery powered set of clippers and a few touch ups with the scissors.

To be honest it's not hard as I'm what you might call folically challenged... my hairline has been slowly but steadily receding since I was about 18... 🙄

Good grief, Rob, quite the horror story regarding the barbers😵‍💫. I'm with Steve regarding haircuts. A quick whizz over with clippers down to a couple of milimeters and tidy with scissors. Last for weeks 'n' doesn't cost a penny (well, almost nothing). My front and back hair lines are getting ever closer to each other, too🥴😁

Thanks, lads. But don't worry, as I've survived these horrors and remain a perfectly balanced psycho!

Gianluca, I am delighted you like the image, and would love to read what you have to write.

There's a guy reflected in that window with a camera! I love the shot. I like the red, white and blue of the chair juxtaposed with the reflection. Long ago (aka: once upon a time) I would go to a barber in Connecticut and there was something about his hands on my head. I'm kinda shaggy at the moment and have an appointment on Friday with Zulay at Str8Blades & Fades to get my ears lowered as it were.

Gianluca, I am delighted you like the image, and would love to read what you have to write.

Last night I had many thoughts about the photo, but nothing so important, or it would require too many (boring) words.
I'll just say this: when looking at a photo I feel I could enter that scene it means that that photo somehow resonates within me. It may be a @Len Philpot's tree that makes me enter the scene in the guise of a monkey or a squirrel climbing, or it may be a barber's chair ready to go in a Formula 1 racing.

@Brian Moore, you always have a good eye for styles, I like that you emphasized "Googie."

Layered with memories from you Rob, the image has a cool diagonal scale from register, past the stylish, yet nightmarish to some, chair to the casual pooch leading his faithful man for surely some tasty treats.

I appreciate learning what Googie design is, as I've been a fan of this style my whole life.

Back