Best UK location for nighttime photos of modern buildings?

Tim Pindar

Hi everyone, my daughter is doing A Level photography and is doing a project/portfolio for which she needs to take sets of night-time or dusk photos of modern buildings showing how they are lit - this sort of thing (which isn't hers, its from Wikipedia):

800px-Selfridges_Birmingham_at_night.jpg

Living as we do near Birmingham, we will cover off places like the above and others in the city. We do have the chance to go away for a few days soon, and would like to visit another city or area where there are good large modern buildings - ideally groups of buildings - to photograph at night.

She has already done some in London and we want to go somewhere else in the UK. Ideally there would be some other good stuff to do whilst we were there, including for her mum.

A bit of searching around suggests that Manchester is a good bet - particularly the Salford Quays area. Any other suggestions?

Leicester of all places has some great new modern buildings - worth a day trip from B'ham

curve_night5.jpg

Curve

moonrise_space-centre.jpg

National Space Center

highcross.jpg

Highcross Shopping Center

Plenty of shopping in Leicester for mum - Cecil Jacobs and Jessops HQs for dad :)

Thanks for the suggestion Chris!

Hamish, the link doesn't work but I've found them - thanks.

Any more suggestions welcome.

We're probably off to Manchester. Meanwhile I took her to Brum and whilst she had the tripod I did manage to get a few half decent shots of Selfridges.

Mind you, it's very hard not to - a photographer's dream. Any angle you like will work - these are from the roof of the car park opposite.

p806989619-4.jpg

p613484295-4.jpg

p783789069-4.jpg

Bloody hell Tim - Blighty's gone all blobby since I left! :D

Very nice shots - love the repeating ball pattern and the lighting

Dundeee doesna really have weird stuff like that to photo :(:(

Still V&A will change that but its a couple yaers off but should be fun taking pics of it going up :D

That second is a great capture! Really nice compo I think!
Very interesting building ... But ill gbe one word of advice to anyone who cares to listen! Don't go inside from the first of December until January 31st ... Out of bounds! don't do it to your self! Unless of course you like people in your personal space, being 300 degrees c and have no issue with snarling brummys!

Ha, yes Chris it is VERY blobby.

You're right about the crowds Hamish.

Oddly, soon after dusk the green lights on Selfridges were turned off, and that was that. We toured the area snapping some more buildings (on her camera) until we had passed that perfect moment when the sky goes a rich blue, before finally turning black. Would have been nice to capture the blobs in that light, but not to be.

Back