Bijou

Lesley Jones

Otherwise know as Zooey
It seems we need a playmate for Bubu closer to his own age. He and Merlin are besotted with one another, but there is a twelve year age gap. The cat next youngest to the kitten is our Devon Rex and although he is very lively, he is now eight. So little Bijou will be travelling from Romania on 19th December to join the family. She was found in a basement with her sister and alongside their dead mother. Sadly Anette contraced a feline virus going round the vet where she lives and she died last month. Bijou is only five months old. She likes other cats, but is shy with people and that's fine with us. We have no neighbours or visitors so it should be ideal for her. Expect more photographs in the future... :)

I'm curious, how come you are getting a kitten from Romania rather than one closer to home? Isn't it a lot more work? What happens with regards to quarantine? We have 2 cats ourselves (I'd love another one but I'm not allowed)

@Pui-Hang Miles I was asked the same question by the receptionist at the vet today. These are just a few thoughts...

I have been involved in animal rescue for most of my life. I used to support our largest animal rescue charity, but stopped when I realised how badly they are functioning. One dear little wobbly kitten's story was posted on a forum from the vet who treated him as a stray. They asked if anyone could offer him a home and within hours one was found. Too late. The vet had passed him to the charity who put him to sleep the same day. His name was Buzzer.

I've home checked for Cat's Protection and other rescue organisations, but many have silly rules like no kittens if you go to work, or you can only truly look after a maximum of two cats. We have had a maximum of eighteen, but currently have eight. For the past 15 years or so we have just taken in the local waifs and strays - several ferals, two unwanted kittens and an elderly cat out of a home due to a divorce.

The truth is there are far more pets than good homes and it's a situation that sadly I feel will never change. There are many groups over here doing what they can and if the animal can't be homed, they generally don't have that bad a life. The situation in Romania is far, far worse. People hate abandoned pets and dogs and cats are regularly targeted. They are deliberately run over, shot, poisoned and worse. Kittens are often thrown to packs of dogs to eat. (I'm sorry if I've upset you, but my friend has two surviving kitties from exactly such a situation a few weeks ago). Our own Bubu (you have already seen his photograph) was stamped on as a tiny kitten. The vet operated to repair a ruptured diaphragm and his liver was stuck to his heart. He didn't breathe on his own for four hours, but they never gave up on him. Even our local vet admitted they wouldn't fight so hard for an animal.

The rescue groups in Romania are working in near impossible conditions, but they continue to do what they can. I think people doing good should be supported. Without a channel to home the cats and dogs, there would simply be nowhere for them to go and the rescue work would dry up. They are trying to set a good example - I know it may take decades, or never, but someone has to keep a light shining.

To answer your other question - no, it isn't difficult. There is no quarantine and the cats only need their normal vaccinations, plus rabies. Bubu cost us £140 last year to bring over. Bijou will be £190, but that includes all the paperwork, the blood tests I requested, vaccinations, a spay, transport to the collection point and the approved pet carrier to Essex. There must be one person on the vehicle for every four animals and they get the best care. Bubu arrived cool as a cucumber and was settled and purring within half an hour. :)

@Lesley, thank you for explaining and I truly admire you for all that you do for the homeless pets. I'm a long time supporter of Cats Protection and I agree with you that many of their home rules are stupid, especially since they also have a tendency of putting potential adopters off!
The situation in Romania for animals is dire - especially dogs since the death of that 4 year old boy. My twitter feed is full of tales of abuse and neglect of animals but then there are the rays of light in the form of angels who give up their time or dedicate their lives to making the lives of homeless animals better. I'm not as eloquent as you so I'll end this post by saying that I think you are really cool and bless you for opening up your home to those who need you most.

Back