Bonjour de San Diego

Darren Bradley

Hi everyone. I ran into Chris Dodkin yesterday while scouting out a future photo location (the new pedestrian bridge to the ballpark here in downtown San Diego), and he mentioned this forum so I thought I'd join.

I live in San Diego with my French wife and young daughter. I travel a fair amount for work, and usually keep my camera in my bag to shoot photos when not at work.

I started learning about photography around the age of 12, when I got my first SLR (a Yashica FX-2, followed by a Canon AE-1 Program, which I still have) and turned my mom's laundry room into a darkroom. Spent high school as a newspaper and yearbook photographer, and then worked briefly as an assistant to a pro photographer in college before basically packing my gear into a closet and giving up photography entirely for about 15 years. I guess I got burned out on spending all my time in the darkroom. Always preferred shooting pics to processing them, I guess.

But with the rise of digital, I jumped back in with both feet a few years ago. My real passion is architecture and modern design (especially the mid-20th century modern variety), and I use photography as a way of trying to get people to notice and appreciate buildings I love, and see them in new ways.

I first picked up a Nikon D90 with a kit lens, but soon left those in the closet in favor of a 10-24mm and a 35mm prime. But my obsession for architecture soon drove me to full frame and tilt-shift lenses, so Canon became the obvious choice. I sold all my Nikon equipment and went [back] to Canon. Haven't looked back. Currently have a 5D2 and all Canon lenses (TS-E 17mm f4 L, 24-70mm f2.8 L, 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM II, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4), and a flash (580 EXII). I also frequently rent the 24mm TS-E for shoots, so you'll see that one pop up, too. It's next on my wish list if anyone wants to contribute to the cause;).

I also have a flickr account, where I post a lot of my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N00/

Look forward to meeting everyone here!

Darren

Last edited:
Welcome Darren!
I'll say hi properly when I'm not having a smoke break at a wedding :)
Ill look forward to seeing more pics!

Darren - glad you could make it

You'll find this a very friendly place, with a great mix of people and a great willingness to share and learn

Good to see you saw the error of your ways and came back to Canon ;)

Hamish, there's hope for you too - you know it's the right thing to do...

I didn't mean to touch of yet another round off the Nikon vs. Canon wars. I actually preferred my D90 to my 5D2 in some respects. It was certainly easier to use. But when people ask me what's better, I usually tell them "it depends on what you generally shoot". If it's people, I pick Nikon. If it's landscapes and architecture, I pick Canon. For street photography, give me a Leica M9, please! (provided budget is no object... alas, it is for me).

Last edited:
we like to take an ironic view of the old canon vs nikon argument here...
i prefer nikons because they are to my eye fractionally better in lower light and handle better
if i was a canon user i would no doubt quote the large variety of lenses and cheapness of access to full frame (second hand 5d)
... and like you say it also depends on what you shoot .... and i think id agree with your choices for subject (apart from the canon one where i have no serious wealth of experience to comment)

so yeah, dont worry, you wont find any c vs. n quarrels here ... ... just the odd back handed joke :)

That's good to know. I generally annoy both camps with my non-committal answers and words of support for both companies.

... a much better stance ...
the same is happening in the iphone/android thing... i have always backed iphones ... but had a eureka moment this morning and realised one quite simple fact... they must both be good ... else everyone would have one or the other ...
Marketing does a lot ... in the case of the iphone ... A LOT!!! ... but actually, if it was **** ... people would just take it back!
these arguments are silly ... and the people who get involved in them with any true conviction are sillier! IMO of course :)

I think it's a psychological phenomenon. You shovel out that much cash or make a sort of long-term commitment to something like an phone plan or a camera system or a car, and you're pretty much locked in for a while. So some people react by becoming blind, raging, frothing-at-the-mouth fanboys in support of whatever they just bought. Must make them feel better about their purchase... I dunno.

I think you have hit the nail firmly on the head mate ... unfortunately in this day and age of so much competing tech you need to be open to the possibility that something else might be better suited to you ...
the other factors are of course the compatibility with other stuff you might have, and the re-learning process ... 2 big hurdles to switching brands in any market ...
but of course if money were no object then i guess we would all just have both options :)

Back