Bridges being mended

Dave Young

Well, it's been a while since I last posted here (found a bookmark on my computer)....

How's everyone doing, hopefully fit, well and surviving this God awful pandemic?!

DSCF8508.jpg

DSCF8509.jpg

Shot on my old X-Pro1 with a 35mm f2 lens

I really like that 2nd image, Dave. The graceful curvature of the viaduct and its many massive arches conjure Roman architecture. Very nice image. (What's that viaduct called?)

Thanks Brian, I have absolutely no clue as to its name :D
It's called the Worcester Viaduct. (Who would have guessed?) 68 arches. It looks a magnificent piece of engineering but I read in the online version of the Worcester News that it initially failed government inspections. The WN article ends thus:

"And on an engineering footnote, the arch which takes the railway viaduct over Croft Road was the first in the country to be built 'on the skew.' It's worth looking at it the next time you pass under, a construction marvel in brickwork erected at a marked angle."

I'd want to have a look if I was there.

Both really nice shots, Dave. I especially like the lighting and reflections in the first.
It's called the Worcester Viaduct. (Who would have guessed?) 68 arches. It looks a magnificent piece of engineering but I read in the online version of the Worcester News that it initially failed government inspections. The WN article ends thus:

"And on an engineering footnote, the arch which takes the railway viaduct over Croft Road was the first in the country to be built 'on the skew.' It's worth looking at it the next time you pass under, a construction marvel in brickwork erected at a marked angle."

I'd want to have a look if I was there.

Thanks Brian, that's interesting info for sure. Maybe next time I'm close to it, I'll pay more attention to it :)

Back