Communication of comparison

Larry Bolch

This thread was created from this one

And how amusing it is that it happens to say below the image on that site ... Larry, the balls in your court on that one ;)

Close enough.

Larry, on the note of digital and film and the differences, I'd be interested in reading your thoughts in depth should you have put them to text? you mention linear digital and a curved response of film ... Is that what explains the "depth" that film seems to portray??

I have yet another story, that I think explains this question with full clarity.

In 2002, I was invited as keynote speaker at a new media conference. While there were content creators there, it was primarily content buyers—art directors, editors, producers and the like. Since I was fairly newly back to Canada, I thought it might be wise to do a fairly comprehensive slide-show of my work. It was running as people arrived, shut off during my talk, and resumed immediately after.

While there were a smattering of digital cameras dating back the the mid-1990s, it was not until the beginning of the millennium that digital photography began to find traction in a big way. I focused my talk on the current state of the art, problems with the transition and as much insight as I had about where it was going. At this point, I had been shooting digitally for about two years, but I had begun image processing when it first became possible in the late 1980s, so for me the transition was very smooth.

After my talk, I opened the floor to discussion and questions. The art director of one of the leading ad agencies stood up and practically exploded "I hate the look of digital!!!" I gestured toward the screen and asked her to point out what it was she hated. As each of a dozen slides passed she looked more and more confused and agitated. Finally she exclaimed "Some of those are digital??" It was indeed, a random mix and many were digital.

She was accustomed to the work of top shooters who may have had a quarter of a century with shooting and processing film but were completely new to digital and had yet to learn the tools. I had enough experience that I made my images my way, whether digital or film. The method may differ, but the end product was the same. The only way to know for sure if one of my shots is digital, would be if it would have been impossible with film.

Making a print in the fume-room is simple and most anyone could become good enough to get a job in a custom lab with only a couple of years practice. There were only two controls—exposure and colour balance. Exposure was modified by dodging and burning. Colour analyzers were good enough to get you pretty close for the first test print.

In 2002, I was practically the senior statesman of digital. Image processing is not simple and a couple of years will just let you scratch the surface.

There is still exposure, but now there is also brightness which acts quite differently. Colour balance is now divided into temperature and tint. However, in ACR on the HSL tab, you can lighten or darken, saturate or de-saturate and actually shift the hue of eight bands of the spectrum, where the colour head of the enlarger just was cyan, yellow and magenta.

Back to the main ACR tab, you have Recovery, which adjusts mainly the values above mid-tones, Fill that impacts those below. Black, to set the black point of the image, Contrast that expands or contracts the whole dynamic range, Clarity for local contrast control, Vibrance which leaves skin tones intact, but increases local saturation elsewhere. And of course overall Saturation. And this is before the image is even opened!

Oh, and there is a tab for Curves and another for Sharpness and Noise control. Yet another accesses a database, which corrects for specific lenses on specific cameras at specific focal lengths.

Once open, you have access to all the tools in Photoshop's big toolbox, including the incredible flexibility of layers and layer masks. In 2002, almost no one had more than a couple of years experience—simply not enough to meet the demands of a big-time ad agency. I was fluent both with the camera and with image processing, so my work looked the same whether it was film or digital.

Henry Fox Talbot made the first negative/positive print with a bit of permanence in 1836. That was really the milestone at the beginning of practical photography. It has had a century and three quarters to evolve both as a medium and a form of art and communication.

Digital has barely had a decade. Not only have photographers had to learn a new and vastly more complex medium from scratch, manufacturers who were very comfortable with a new flag-ship camera that would sell for eight to ten years, had to also learn to make digital cameras. Quite a number failed and are now history.

In that 175 years, nothing has had the impact upon the industry or the medium that digital has. In the year 2000 Adobe shipped Photoshop 6.0 with layers—certainly the biggest breakthrough ever in image processing. Version 12.0—CS5—was also such a breakthrough version. It has advanced so much that version 6.0 would feel like a basement hack in comparison.

Remember too, that as colour film became viable, the home darkroom faded. People got used to the bland homogenized photofinisher print. At the conference above, someone said that when shooting 35mm film, results out of the camera were perfect, while digital was all over the place. I asked if he did his own printing, and he said no. What he did not realize is that colour negatives are hugely forgiving and the bored technicians at the big machine are fixing every one—just as if they were using Photoshop. To see how consistent shooting 35mm is, just have a contact sheet printed!

It is constantly stated that it is the photographer, not the camera, that makes the picture. It was like photography was reborn around 2000. Those who shot film pretty much had to start all over. While they were still superb photographers, the new medium had to be learned from scratch. Luckily everything learned in the darkroom has an analogue in image processing. A large percentage of today's photo enthusiasts have only taken up the hobby in the past few years—little experience behind the camera or in the digital darkroom. Facebook is littered with horrible cell-phone and P&S shots uploaded with no processing at all—as horrid as a 35mm contact sheet.

On the other hand, with care an actual photographer can go way beyond the limits of film and there are thousands out there who do. The tools not only exist now, but are constantly improving. A photographer never quits studying, and the demand on time and dedication is far greater now than with film. I have a sharp print beside me, shot in a parking lot by distant streetlights at ISO12,800. Noise equals the grain of an ISO400-800 35mm shot—visible but not distracting. It is not film vs digital, but film experience versus the much greater demands and possibilities of digital. Good shot, but I would never have even thought to attempt it with film.

Decades back, I use to joke that my ideal camera was an 8×10 that handled like a 35. Not quite there yet, but the D700 is making impressive inroads. Easily the equal or better than my medium format equipment ISO for ISO. Understand that there really is little or no film for medium format beyond ISO800. From ISO1600 to 25,600 the D700 owns the world.

No matter which medium you use, you still need to be able to conceptualize the photograph you are about to create. On location, you need to gather the highest quality raw material, exposure, lighting, focus, and above all, content. Whether interpreting it in Photoshop or the fume-room skill, taste and artistic ability will draw a line in the sand between photographers and camera buffs. Too often overlooked is the presentation, which can draw the multitudes to the image, or see then walking past without noticing.

The medium is not the message, the photograph is, and the photographer is the messenger who both creates and delivers it—not the camera, not the film and not the sensor.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that the film has a curve and digital is linear is of little consequence. Few working photographers and even fewer enthusiasts ever spent the time to fully understand how the curves impact the distribution of density in an exposure. Adjustments in printing overcame all but the most gross errors. For those who did not take the time, there were always lots of tips going around, even before the InterWebs.

The first chromogenic B&W film generated a whole literature. Ilford XP-1 was not only dismissed, but condemned by shooters. Others thought it was second to the second coming. It had an incredibly long dynamic range and could be exposed from ISO50 to ISO1600 and beyond. The whole character of the film changed depending upon where the exposure was placed on the curve. At ISO50, there was huge shadow detail, no grain and kind of a silky transition between tones. At ISO400—its official rating—it looked much like other films of that speed except for lack of contrast—which was the focus of anger. Some could just not get a snappy print from it. Again, dealing with a very long dynamic range, one needed to use high-contrast paper and lots of dodging and burning. At ISO1600 and above, the density had moved up the curve and onto the straight section, dropping shadow detail as it did. Grain also became an issue.

When Aunt Gert took the box Brownie into the camera store and asked the nice man to change the film for her, he took out Verichrome Pan and replaced with the same. It practically set off neon signs saying "THIS IS A SNAPSHOOTER". An enthusiast or camera clubber would not be seen dead around it.

However, it was the professional's dirty little secret. Someone realized that box cameras have a single aperture and shutter speed. To work, it needed something like today's auto-ISO. That was Verichrome Pan. It had an incredibly long scale, so in a difficult situation, it could capture shadow and highlight detail like nothing else on the market! It printed beautifully, wonderful for portraits, and was for all intents grainless. While I bought it without shame, I expect there were a few pro-photosupply stores that kept it under the counter and sold it in a plain brown wrapper. ;D

Larry!!
In refererance to your first post...
Honestly, I'm nearly speachless ... Facinating stuff, and frankly about as spot on a point of view on digital vs film as I have ever come accross! I only wish I was half as articulate or ha half the experience you do ... Have a read of this thread on a Hifi forum and watch me bang my head repeatedly against a wall
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11283

Am I ok to publish that as an ariticle?
What title should we give it?

On the second post... Music to my ears (eyes)... After reading what Shaun (the chap on art of sound - not just in that thread either) says about digital I have often doubted my own convictions in perusing digital and fighting it's corner. Film does have a quality of it's own ... But that quality is part of the individual film and the process not nessasarily something intrinsic and limited to film!

I have been working on some digital files for a wedding I did over the weekend
As a weding photographer I am faced with the "competition" of 30 other people on the day, all armed with passable good digital cameras ... My composition alone should stand me out from the crowd! But what if the client has no eye for composition? They might well wonder why they are paying me! My response is obviously to make sure the "quality" of my images is higher ... This is where the digital process comes in of course!
Now for a while I hid behind ott pp .. Now I am going for a more subtle approach. An approach that makes the viewer enthralled by the image and it's contents, but not be sure what it is that's different from Joe average's photos ...
Ironically I have chosen to process my images to look in my eyes a little "film like" by selectively and very slighty desaturating some of the spectrum of colours and then adding a split tone to them ... The result made me realise that actually as nice as film is, what makes it look different is not it being better quality as such... But the fact it is just less "real". it catches the eye because it is different from what the eye is used to!! People who say they prefer it are actually just prefering something different to reality!

Digital without pp, is too real!
But how fantastic for us photographers to be able to take an image that to a point is a very good interpretation of reality ... It is then up to us to stamp our own sence of surreal on to it ...

Last edited:
Larry!!
In refererance to your first post...
Honestly, I'm nearly speechless ... Facinating stuff, and frankly about as spot on a point of view on digital vs film as I have ever come accross! I only wish I was half as articulate or had half the experience you do ... Have a read of this thread on a Hifi forum and watch me bang my head repeatedly against a wall
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11283

I do disagree that it is easier to learn. ACR and layers put fantastic processing power into the hands of photographers, but are mind-bogglingly complex to fully comprehend and it takes many years of practice to truly become fluent. In the fume-room, B&W controls are pretty much contrast plus dodging and burning. With colour, you give up contrast and are left with colour balance and dodging and burning. A couple of years practice and you are ready to apply for a job.

As a result of the ubiquitous digital camera and the lack of skills—both in camera operation and processing, not to mention photography—we see a whole lot of lousy images. Easy access to image sites amplifies this. During most of the film era, you had to be in the physical presence of the print to see it.

Camera automation can provide the snapshooter with reasonable results under average conditions, just as the dude at the big print machine in the lab could. However, when conditions deviate from average, automation can bite you a big one in the tush. Understanding how each of the systems works requires the intelligence of a photographer.

http://www.larry-bolch.com/automatic-cameras/

Am I ok to publish that as an ariticle?
What title should we give it?

Certainly. Anything that communicates a comparison between the two media.

On the second post... Music to my ears (eyes)... After reading what Shaun (the chap on art of sound - not just in that thread either) says about digital I have often doubted my own convictions in perusing digital and fighting it's corner. Film does have a quality of it's own ... But that quality is part of the individual film and the process not necessarily something intrinsic and limited to film!

However, the same is true of digital cameras. RAW images from the X100 would never be mistaken for those of my D700, though the end result will look the same. However, getting there is photographer dependent. There is a wonderful essay on seeking the "Magic Bullet" at

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/chasing-magic-bullet.html

I have been working on some digital files for a wedding I did over the weekend
As a weding photographer I am faced with the "competition" of 30 other people on the day, all armed with passable good digital cameras ... My composition alone should stand me out from the crowd! But what if the client has no eye for composition? They might well wonder why they are paying me! My response is obviously to make sure the "quality" of my images is higher ... This is where the digital process comes in of course!

I have had people come up to me, tell me they love my pictures and ask what kind of camera I use, so they can take pictures like mine. Two similar stories:

Ernest Hemingway: "You take great photos, what camera do you use?"
Irving Penn: "You write great books, What typewriter do you use?"
—<•>—
An amateur photographer was invited to dinner with friends, and took
along a few pictures to show the hostess. She looked at the photos and
commented, "These are very good! You must have a good camera."

He didn't make any comment, but, as he was leaving to go home he said,
"That was a really delicious meal! You must have some very good pots."
—<•>—

We have practiced our art, and they have not. While a snapshooter may get lucky every now and then, we consistently produce quality both in our craft and our art. Even to the most untrained and insensitive eye, the overall quality of our shoot will trump an inexperienced person's work, no matter their camera. If it does not, a lot more practice and learning is in order before the next shoot.

Now for a while I hid behind ott pp .. Now I am going for a more subtle approach. An approach that makes the viewer enthralled by the image and it's contents, but not be sure what it is that's different from Joe average's photos ...
Ironically I have chosen to process my images to look in my eyes a little "film like" by selectively and very slighty desaturating some of the spectrum of colours and then adding a split tone to them ... The result made me realise that actually as nice as film is, what makes it look different is not it being better quality as such... But the fact it is just less "real". it catches the eye because it is different from what the eye is used to!! People who say they prefer it are actually just prefering something different to reality!

Digital without pp, is too real!
But how fantastic for us photographers to be able to take an image that to a point is a very good interpretation of reality ... It is then up to us to stamp our own sense of surreal on to it ...

Perhaps a bit on the self-conscious side. Produce an image that looks "right" to you, using whatever tools it takes. Avoid formulae. I read people asking for advice on how to develop their style. This is the wrong approach—external and again, self-conscious. By producing photographs that look right, you will never see your own style, but the rest of the world will. There is simply no more honest approach to photography. Style comes from within—it is you.

In Hamlet, old Polonius advises his son, "To thine own self, be true." Certainly the best advice any artist could receive.

I do disagree that it is easier to learn. ACR and layers put fantastic processing power into the hands of photographers, but are mind-bogglingly complex to fully comprehend and it takes many years of practice to truly become fluent. In the fume-room, B&W controls are pretty much contrast plus dodging and burning. With colour, you give up contrast and are left with colour balance and dodging and burning. A couple of years practice and you are ready to apply for a job.

I'm not sure ...
I don't think I'm really qualified to comment ... I personally found learning digital easier than film when it comes to the processing ...
Film always seems more of a dark art, where as digital is can be undone and repeated ...
That process for me makes it easier ...

As a result of the ubiquitous digital camera and the lack of skills—both in camera operation and processing, not to mention photography—we see a whole lot of lousy images. Easy access to image sites amplifies this. During most of the film era, you had to be in the physical presence of the print to see it.

Camera automation can provide the snapshooter with reasonable results under average conditions, just as the dude at the big print machine in the lab could. However, when conditions deviate from average, automation can bite you a big one in the tush. Understanding how each of the systems works requires the intelligence of a photographer.

I have recently written a little bit on my issues with modern automation and their destructive nature on learning ... Should it get used, ill post it and point you to it!

However, the same is true of digital cameras. RAW images from the X100 would never be mistaken for those of my D700, though the end result will look the same. However, getting there is photographer dependent. There is a wonderful essay on seeking the "Magic Bullet" at

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/chasing-magic-bullet.html

As we have discussed on the yahoo groups, i wholeheartedly agree ...
The magic bullet, if it could be called that, is simply the knowledge that the only way to achieve good photography is to dedicate a huge amount of time learning the skills

I have had people come up to me, tell me they love my pictures and ask what kind of camera I use, so they can take pictures like mine. Two similar stories:

Ernest Hemingway: "You take great photos, what camera do you use?"
Irving Penn: "You write great books, What typewriter do you use?"
—<•>—
An amateur photographer was invited to dinner with friends, and took
along a few pictures to show the hostess. She looked at the photos and
commented, "These are very good! You must have a good camera."

He didn't make any comment, but, as he was leaving to go home he said,
"That was a really delicious meal! You must have some very good pots."
—<•>—

We have practiced our art, and they have not. While a snapshooter may get lucky every now and then, we consistently produce quality both in our craft and our art. Even to the most untrained and insensitive eye, the overall quality of our shoot will trump an inexperienced person's work, no matter their camera. If it does not, a lot more practice and learning is in order before the next shoot.

Perhaps a bit on the self-conscious side. Produce an image that looks "right" to you, using whatever tools it takes. Avoid formulae. I read people asking for advice on how to develop their style. This is the wrong approach—external and again, self-conscious. By producing photographs that look right, you will never see your own style, but the rest of the world will. There is simply no more honest approach to photography. Style comes from within—it is you.

In Hamlet, old Polonius advises his son, "To thine own self, be true." Certainly the best advice any artist could receive.

Yes, something i am struggling with my self at the moment ...
As i have mentioned else where, I have had recent "issues" with my own style when i compare it to what i see as "trend" ... Its a bloody nightmare! A self confidence slider (as i mentioned else where this evening) in lightroom would do me the world of good at the moment!

Last edited:
I'm not sure ...
I don't think I'm really qualified to comment ... I personally found learning digital easier than film when it comes to the processing ...
Film always seems more of a dark art, where as digital is can be undone and repeated ...
That process for me makes it easier ...

Everything about digital photography is far more interactive than analogue photography. In the fume-room, you make a print, wash it and dry it. Then you evaluate what you did—if you remember—then reprint to improve it. Trying to remember your moves when dodging and burning has always been inexact. While with film, you have to complete the act of making a print prior to evaluation, in the digital darkroom—assuming an accurate or calibrated monitor—you can contemplate at any stage and refine the image until it looks right.

In the field, the time-lag was even greater. It could be hours or days between trying to learn or refine a technique and evaluating your success—the time it took to process and print your film. The camera's monitor with its histogram is a fantastic teaching tool with immediate feedback. Try something fresh and you have immediate results upon which to build.

I have recently written a little bit on my issues with modern automation and their destructive nature on learning ... Should it get used, ill post it and point you to it!

Having started my career with a 5×7 Deardorff—and you can not get more manual than that—I absolutely love contemporary cameras. I know when I can trust and when I can not, and when I can not, I know how to set them to give me the exact results I am after.

I live by my histogram. Perhaps the most brilliant bit of design with the Fuji X100 was to put the Exposure Compensation knob in the most accessible spot on the camera. It is the most important control on an automated camera, and allows continuous fine tuning as dynamic range, lighting angles and reflective surfaces change.

As we have discussed on the yahoo groups, i wholeheartedly agree ...
The magic bullet, if it could be called that, is simply the knowledge that the only way to achieve good photography is to dedicate a huge amount of time learning the skills

I was fortunate enough to get to know just about everyone prominent in classical music in the second half of the 20th century, along with a flock of rock and country stars. I also have a long term on-and-off relationship with one of the top concert guitarists in the USA. Though these people are among the most admired musicians, with top notch careers, they have one thing in common. They practice every day. Many times I have awakened to the sound of Bonnie doing her fingering drills. From the beginning, music students and enthusiast musicians fully understand the need to practice.

—<•>—
Lost out-of-towner: How do I get to Carnegie Hall?
New Yorker: Practice.
—<•>—

(You might swap the Royal Albert, but the meaning is the same.)

A top musician may have a concert every couple of weeks, but no day goes by without being in the studio. Yet many photographers wait until there is a shoot to try new equipment or techniques, with disastrous results. As a working photographer, "day off" or "vacation" were words with no meaning. Days without shoots were the time to try to push the edge in order to find were it was at any given time. I would not think of using a piece of new equipment or a new technique on a shoot until I had thoroughly tested it and was absolutely fluent with it. When the time came to actually use it, I had absolute confidence.

Yes, something i am struggling with my self at the moment ...
As i have mentioned else where, I have had recent "issues" with my own style when i compare it to what i see as "trend" ... Its a bloody nightmare! A self confidence slider (as i mentioned else where this evening) in lightroom would do me the world of good at the moment!

Trends are ephemeral—as are the people who ride them. Heavy-metal-ska-rap is the trend for as long as it gets airplay—which may be just days. The person who did the original album has his 15 minute of fame—then sinks from sight without a trace. Hopefully he did not spend the money on nose-candy, since it is just one pay-day per life-time. For the artist who grows his craft and is true to himself artistically, it is an ongoing career. Once the Stones got the financial management they needed from the beginning, they grew quite prosperous, making Stones music—and have been doing so for at least 120 years, so it seems. "To thine own self be true."

It might be worth a mention—though it should be obvious—no matter what media you choose, there is always a craft element and an art element. Technique is learned, while the art comes from within. One spends a lifetime refining technique. Technique is the language the artist uses to convey the emotion, message and soul in art works. The more fluent one is in the language, the more eloquently one can express the feelings and message. Fluency in technique is not the goal in photography, it is the prerequisite. If you have to think about technique when on a shoot, you are not yet ready to be a photographer. Fluency comes with learning and loads of practice.

A word or two on "fluency". When learning a new language, each time you speak, you think in your mother tongue, then translate before you speak. At some point, you find yourself thinking in the new language and just speaking without the intermediate step. Musicians may start out as students playing the piano. The mind is cluttered with deciphering music from the book, finding the notes on the keyboard and clumsily trying to follow the fingering as written.

When fluency is achieved, they no longer are playing the piano—they are playing the music. No thought of fingering, or pedaling, or dynamics—the music simply flows.

No different in photography. When I walk into a shoot, I do a quick assessment of the venue, set the camera initially and begin shooting. When I conditions change, I make the appropriate corrections, without ever losing concentration on my content. If the shoot say moves from inside to outside, a momentary time-out is called and at that point the camera is completely reset for the new conditions, then it is back to the shoot.

Useing the same analogy then, the problem I am talking about is not about not beig able to speak the language or indeed think in the language ... The problem is with if what I am saying is unintelligent and foolish!
Does that make sence?
I go take the shots, happily
Use the camera without worry
Put them on the computer lookthem through, decide which ones to keep and which to cut
Pp them fine ...
Then when I'm finished usually about a day later the fear kicks in!
All of a sudden everything is crap!

I'm not saying it happens all the time... But it's enough to be a nuisance

What do you do in that situation
No one agrees with me, even the people who the photography is of like them ... It's just the critic in me attacking my self!

I know there is no answer other than perhaps just doing it more and gaining more self confidence....
But what happens when you get too confident?
Then you rest on what you are doing and the desire to learn to improve maybe fades ... Then what is the point?

I'm just ranting a bit here and probably just stating the obvious ...
But it occurs to me that to be good at this sort of thing you almost have to be right at the very edge of disliking doing it ... To get better at it, you have to dislike what your doing enough to motivate you to learn more to get better?

Or maybe it's just Monday morning and I'm feeling a bit pessimistic ;)

Most of the time self criticism is a fine and healthy thing but at others it can rob you of self confidence. I'm pretty sure all of us (and, indeed, all artists) go through similar. One of the benefits of this forum you have created is to get independent feedback; sometimes positive and sometimes negative. But at least it is real feedback and you can use that to analyse the work in that light. This is quite different to analysing a print for example and knowing what to do to make it better or more like what you intended. It's about validating, if you will, your style or whatever at the current time. Being true to oneself is all fine and good but, for most of us, that's not enough and we really need something more to motivate, encourage or even re-think.

And you know the answer don't you? Post more images!! Get that feedback. Get some praise (we all need a bit). Respond to comments (either explaining why you did what you did or re-evaluating something through someone else's eyes.

Useing the same analogy then, the problem I am talking about is not about not beig able to speak the language or indeed think in the language ... The problem is with if what I am saying is unintelligent and foolish!
Does that make sence?
I go take the shots, happily
Use the camera without worry
Put them on the computer lookthem through, decide which ones to keep and which to cut
Pp them fine ...
Then when I'm finished usually about a day later the fear kicks in!
All of a sudden everything is crap!

My ex- is a writer and she never considered another career. She is good enough that she was recruited by the largest circulation magazine in the world as a staff writer, with great freedom to pursue whatever topics fascinated her.

She always lived in dread and fear that someday she would be exposed as a fraud. Writing was too easy, and she had no idea of the process she used—it was instinctive and natural. Instead of just accepting her talent, she always felt she was running on luck. All creative people have times when the muse takes a holiday. When she was suffering from block, living with a rabid wolverine would have been a pleasant break. She would try to power herself through it, sweeping away everything ahead. This, even though she was able to always able to impress her editors—some of the most exacting on the planet—and is very successful.

I'm not saying it happens all the time... But it's enough to be a nuisance

What do you do in that situation
No one agrees with me, even the people who the photography is of like them ... It's just the critic in me attacking my self!

When asked to define my approach, I like the term "pragmatic perfectionist". I strive to produce the best image quality and content that circumstances will allow. I don't know how to slack, on the contrary, I try to push the edge a bit. When evaluating the content of a shoot, there is a time of introspection to answer the question of "what should I do better next time?" Still, I know I have given this shoot 100%, and I accept the results. Handing the images to an editor or client, response is positive. The images were the best I could do under the circumstances, and both myself and my client must live with it. "To thine own self, be true."

I accept the fact, that no one has ever shot a perfect photograph that would please everyone. As long as I submit the best of which I am capable, I am OK with that.

—<•>—​

During the concept stage, run through the shoot in your mind. It is like an actor rehearsing. Anticipate potential problems and have contingency plans if they arise. Assess what equipment you will need. Think also of how the images will be used, and plan accordingly. Clarify in your mind what the goal of the shoot is, and how to achieve it.

This level of planning will make the shoot go much smoother. Problems anticipated, are worked through as routine, not crisis. Planning means that you have the tools on hand, and well checked out. Spares of everything at hand. Fresh batteries, more than enough film if it is a film shoot, enough card-space if it is digital. Every shoot is stressful. A shooter is expected to work in real-time and bring back images that meet the goals of the shoot. An enthusiast can show up without a card in the camera, and feel a bit embarrassed—while for a working photographer, it could be a career-ending crisis. Detailed planning averts this. The ideal on a shoot is to have your mind free to concentrate on capturing the best possible content with as little distraction as possible.

Once in the fume-room or digital darkroom, even on a tight deadline, there is no longer the real-time pressure of the shoot. You many not spend a lot of time contemplating what each image needs, but there is enough time. The more fluent you are with processing, the more directly you can go to the image you see in your mind.

Between shoots, time spent practicing is time very well spent. Take the time to dig out some of the more challenging shoots and reprocess with the skills you have picked up since the shoot. Without deadline pressure, you can explore alternative ways to add to your repertoire of interpretive skills.

The final element in the photograph is the presentation. If you think that this is an afterthought, please read
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html

Context in presentation can be everything. In the article, brilliant young violinist, Joshua Bell, busked in the entry to a subway station. He played some of the most difficult works for solo violin and in this context few people recognized him or appreciated his art. The same image will have a profoundly different effect upon a viewer if it is a 4×6 on a coffee table or a large print hanging in a gallery.

I know there is no answer other than perhaps just doing it more and gaining more self confidence....
But what happens when you get too confident?
Then you rest on what you are doing and the desire to learn to improve maybe fades ... Then what is the point?

Confidence based upon a reasonable evaluation of yourself is good, but stop well short of arrogance. If you think you are taking the perfect photograph each time I you shoot, you will soon be doing something else. Never stop learning, and realize the more you learn, the more you will see to learn.

Yesterday was a down day. All my projects are up to date and it was a Sunday. I spent the time in a 3D modeling and rendering application, Shade12E, exploring a new feature—displacement mapping. This uses B&W images to create three dimensional geometry. I was specifically exploring posterized gradients created in Paint Shop Pro, matched to colour maps for both object colour and reflections. Complex stuff and I managed to eventually achieve spectacular results. I saved neither the project files, nor the images I created—just closed the application without saving.

I did not squander the time with nothing to show for it. While the results were hugely successful, they were not the least bit interesting by themselves. Posted on my Facebook or Google+ page, only four or five "friends" would get it—and they either write the application or are co-advisers to the company. However, if I am working on an actual project in the future, I now have that technique mastered and can use it with confidence.

Modeling and rendering with a 3D program is virtual photography. The main difference that it lets you accurately photography any image in your imagination. Virtual light works like real light. Virtual cameras work like real cameras. Even though the first program I used in the early 1990s had a learning curve described as a 6' high wall of glazed bricks, once I had climbed it, everything was familiar. Nearly two decades later however, I am still learning. Same with all aspects of photography—which is more like five decades.

I'm just ranting a bit here and probably just stating the obvious ...
But it occurs to me that to be good at this sort of thing you almost have to be right at the very edge of disliking doing it ... To get better at it, you have to dislike what your doing enough to motivate you to learn more to get better?

For me, the greater my success, the more excited I am to push the edge farther. Trying new things is a heavy artistic turn-on. It can be a technique—like displacement mapping—or exploring new ideas with the X100.

Part of it is habit. As I was planning to go on my own three decades back, I happened upon an interview with a writer. When asked how he disciplined himself to create, he said he went to work every day. Each day he would go to his desk and spend the next eight hours writing. No boss but himself, but a routine little different than if he was employed. Made sense, and that is what I have done ever since. And even now, that I am pretty much retired. I no longer solicit business, but from time to time I get a proposal that fascinates me enough to take it. The rest of the time, I am doing all the personal projects I put off "…until the time is right."

Or maybe it's just Monday morning and I'm feeling a bit pessimistic ;)

Being fluent in more than one medium is a great asset. If I start going flat in one, I can shift to the others. A few months back, I found I really was not enjoying making music much, so I stopped for a while. If a multimedia project came in requiring a music track, I could summon the energy to provide one with a few days of wood-shedding to get my chops back (along with multitracking and doing a bunch of editing). In any case, I am not sweatting it.

I am loving exploring people photography with the little X100, and I am working with the software company on the next minor release of Shade12E and laying ground-work for Shade13. Out of a quarter million users—primarily in Japan—three of us have been invited to work with the English language publisher and Japanese development team. It is a mind-boggling experience. I ask the brilliant and delightful engineer in charge for a feature, and he says "I can give you that!", and there it is in the next build.

So I go flat, and that is OK. It is never a matter of dislike, just that I have done enough for a while and I have an endless list of stuff to learn and stuff to create. Plus, I have the joy of access to developers who are creating my tools. I am also working with Corel on version 14 of Paint Shop Pro, but don't have such a deep personal relationship yet as I do with Shade. I may be dead soon, but will get there without ever being old no matter how many years still remain.

Pursue learning and never stop. Constantly add new skills and polish old skills. Make each shoot somehow better than the last. Shrug off down times by finding another course to follow. Enthusiasm and just plain fun will follow.

—<•>—​

In case you are curious, here is the 3D section of my web-site. You will see it is quite photographic. Check out the virtual set while you are there. It was my main project last summer—I had wanted to design and build virtual sets since it was first possible, and this was my first commercial shot at it. We worked at 4K resolution, and the posted render allows one to zoom and pan about.

http://www.larry-bolch.com/shade/

You do get up to some interesting stuff dont you Larry!
Still, its good to know and hear that im not the only one who struggles from time to time ...
Thankfully i suppose for me and my mental stability i have the forum as a whole and my web dev/design business to fall back on when the photography gets a bit much ...
In fact I guess the reason we are having this conversation is my ability to switch my priorities when one pursuit becomes a bit much for my brain to cope with!

On the subject of learning i'd once again concur ...
It should always be remembered that what ever we choose to spend our time doing as humans, the process of learning is the fun bit, the bit that gives the most satisfaction and the thing that gives us the ability to move forward adapt and get better!

Back