Competition Time

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
It's that time of year again - my local county fair are accepting submissions for their annual photo competition, and I'm trying to decide which shots to enter this year.

Last year I got a 3rd place in the B&W People section with my steely eyed cowboy shot

7075670309_2c6c10735e_b.jpg

This year, I'm going to step up and enter a few more categories, but the problem is that they want $18 per entry, whether you get selected or not, so you can't just blast a load of images at them - I need to keep it to ten I think.

I've set up a gallery on Flickr, and picked out some of my favorites from the last year - including one fairground shot from last year specifically because they have an 'At the Fair' category you can enter in :)

7461276936_dcbe224da0_b.jpg

I'd be interested in people's opinions on which images would make good competition entries - I have some favorites already, but I'm keen to see what other people think.

Image gallery is here: SD Fair 2013 - a set on Flickr

All comments and ideas welcome :p

A few of my favourites, in no particular order, are; "Disney Theatre LA", Snowstorm crossing the Mogollon Rim", "Upon Reflection", "Storm over the Mingus Mountains", "Flash Gordon's Garage", "Mini Driver", "Through The Fog" and "Roll Up Roll Up".

Which ever you pick to enter Chris, Good Luck with them.

Thanks Glen - appreciate the feedback

It's sometimes difficult to be objective when you're lived with the shots from start to finish, so a new set of eyes is very welcome.

Chris,...I love that one (at the fair) above! (I don't see how that can't win!:))

I'll check out the Flickr set, too.

I don't know which you should choose, Chris, but that selection reminds me (as if I needed reminding) of what a ridiculously good photographer you are!

I think by you posting the fairground image above you have already told us which one is your favourite Chris. Out of all of them it really stood out for me. Suppose it is difficult in these things. I imagine that it can be a case of entering your best photo or entering the one you will think will win because of the judges biases.

awesome set in that group on flickr Chris, hard to choose a fav but i think the one you have posted in this thread has the edge, i love the vibrant colours, the image makes you look at every inch of the photo to make sure you haven't missed anything.........great shot

Daz

Thanks chaps - That one's a definite and I think it's perfect for the 'At The Fair' category

I'm also wanting to get some documentary shots, people shots and landscape/architecture shots in - I want to stack the odds of at least getting in the exhibition

So any favorites or recommendations will be most welcome

my favorite 10(ish) in no particular order.. i like the fair shot, but left it out cause you've already decided on it and i was having a hard enough time picking which ones to eliminate.

these two are my top picks from the set -

Thanks Beth :)

Documentary, B&W people (formal and informal), Landscape/Cityscape, At the Fair

Back