CORNISH LANDSCAPE

Julian de'Courcy

Took these a while ago and have only just found a way to get at least something from them. Not to please but cannot see a way forward. this applies more to the mine on the edge of the cliff. I suspect it is the composition rather than anything else. It was misty wet and raining onto the front of the lens, so as per usual some of the better shots were binned as they had water droplets running down the front of the lens. I was not able to venture any closer. The white house in the second two shots, sits just back on the cliff behind the Tin mine's engine house.

Anyway.

CORNWALL by JuliandeCourcy, on Flickr

CORNWALL by JuliandeCourcy, on Flickr

LANDSCAPE by JuliandeCourcy, on Flickr

What a wonderful landscape, Julian. :)
The spread of the arms of the land into the sky
and the sea with on the edge building,
and the path leading up to the horizon
with the hill's erosion by fog,
and white painted houses like rare daisies.

What a wonderful landscape, Julian. :)
The spread of the arms of the land into the sky
and the sea with on the edge building,
and the path leading up to the horizon
with the hill's erosion by fog,
and white painted houses like rare daisies.

Thank you Nihat. You have written some wonderful lines.They will contribute to me seeing my immediate landscape in a different way.

love the first one. all of the lines in the comp. are pointing at the mill, the coastline in the foreground, the hill coming from the left and cliffs in the background all converge at the mill.

Thanks for the input Beth appreciated. Helps me to see what I do not which is good. The building is what was built to contain the steam engine to work the mines, for pumps and transporting the ore to the surface. The tunnels would often go out under the seabed for several miles.

Wheal Coates!! I plan on doing a sunset/twighlight session there on my first evening in Cornwall in September. My B&B is just up the road. :)

Wonderful images Julian - you have really captured the atmosphere of the place...

Lesley I had wondered, I new you had mentioned a planned trip. These at Chapel Porth can be got to from Chapel Porth national trust car park or higher up and much closer is a small car park so you can approach from above. These where not taken at the ideal time of day. Knowing your images you will come away with some serious images.
I have also taken images of these engine houses from Porthtowan beach , west of Chapel Porth, at low tide, especially spring tides, it is possible to walk from Porthtowan along to Chapel Porth if you are inclined. Many do for a weekend stroll. Above this first image with the engine house are several other building, in decay. The photographers Ephemeris is an ideal tool for this kind of location.

Last edited:
Many thanks Julian! I've spent the evening trawling through the first few locations using TPE. Trip Advisor also had some good advice about easier access from the higher car park. It's amazing what you can pick up from Google Images and what people post on You Tube as well. In fact, one such video has almost put me off Bedruthen Steps. It doesn't look like the sort of place I want to be alone after dark! :D

Gorgeous colours and atmosphere Julian and I love the compositions of the second and third shots. The first doesn't quite work though does it. The sky looks a bit over-worked and I find there to be too much hill on the left. How about a crop from the right hand boundary of the beach and the frame to somewhere near the light foliage on the left?

JulianTinMine-1_zps5e411281.jpg

I love the scene from #1 - it reminds me of my 6th form geography field trip to Cornwall - it rained every day apart from the day we were in the tin mine (where the rain from the previous days dripped on out heads).

I think I prefer the original crop as there's space to breath around the mine building - the color palette choice is very 'marine' - which I like

Many thanks Julian! I've spent the evening trawling through the first few locations using TPE. Trip Advisor also had some good advice about easier access from the higher car park. It's amazing what you can pick up from Google Images and what people post on You Tube as well. In fact, one such video has almost put me off Bedruthen Steps. It doesn't look like the sort of place I want to be alone after dark! :D
I think we all do that now, I remember years ago, looking at North Wales and planning everything from goggle and peoples images. It was not until I arrived to find the scenic spots I arrived at there where about million other people, so left and travelled north to Scotland on a whim. Many years ago this was,yet a good move as I loved Sutherland and the surrounding area. You are guaranteed to find solitude in the north of Scotland. Memories .
Close to Bedruthen steps, last year several hundred of tons of the cliff fell away, very real and it does happen from time to time, though rare, I would not worry but always do be careful. The cliffs are very high there, no fences either. I could not access the steps themselves so have not been down onto the beach from there for many years. The car park at Bedruthen is very close to the cliff edge maybe a couple of hundred meters or so.

IMG_3147.jpg Looking down from Bedruthen.So yes very high.

IMG_3184.jpg Along the top of Bedruthen

Lesley have you looked at Gwithian beach near Hayle ?. it is across the water from St.Ives. There is the Light house on rocks off the point, a stunning place with the sunset if caught at the right time? Cornwall as you may well know if simplified is of two landscapes. The much more Devon like with green fields , with the spine of the moors running down through the centre, onto the far west which is very different with the granite being more visible to the sea edge,the sea can be seen at both coasts from the centre, in places as the spine of Cornwall is so narrow.. Around Zenor is stunning and the Minak Theatre. Certainly lots to plan I am sure.

Gorgeous colours and atmosphere Julian and I love the compositions of the second and third shots. The first doesn't quite work though does it. The sky looks a bit over-worked and I find there to be too much hill on the left. How about a crop from the right hand boundary of the beach and the frame to somewhere near the light foliage on the left?

Pete exact way I see it, I think again here it was not a good point to take the pic from, the angles are all wrong. I kicked myself when I got back as I remember. Although close enough to drive to for a pic, so can try again some time. Yep the sky was over worked you are always spot on. The right hand side was blown out, tried to use graduation filters, it shows.

_7100134.jpg This is an improved viewing point, but in the midday sun not good. Yet an idea of what can be got.

_7100102.jpg

I love the scene from #1 - it reminds me of my 6th form geography field trip to Cornwall - it rained every day apart from the day we were in the tin mine (where the rain from the previous days dripped on out heads).

I think I prefer the original crop as there's space to breath around the mine building - the color palette choice is very 'marine' - which I like
Thanks Chris I do think it may be best to start from scratch, get better light overall as well.

I think we all do that now, I remember years ago, looking at North Wales and planning everything from goggle and peoples images. It was not until I arrived to find the scenic spots I arrived at there where about million other people, so left and travelled north to Scotland on a whim. Many years ago this was,yet a good move as I loved Sutherland and the surrounding area. You are guaranteed to find solitude in the north of Scotland. Memories .
Close to Bedruthen steps, last year several hundred of tons of the cliff fell away, very real and it does happen from time to time, though rare, I would not worry but always do be careful. The cliffs are very high there, no fences either. I could not access the steps themselves so have not been down onto the beach from there for many years. The car park at Bedruthen is very close to the cliff edge maybe a couple of hundred meters or so.

View attachment 5235 Looking down from Bedruthen.So yes very high.

View attachment 5236 Along the top of Bedruthen

Lesley have you looked at Gwithian beach near Hayle ?. it is across the water from St.Ives. There is the Light house on rocks off the point, a stunning place with the sunset if caught at the right time? Cornwall as you may well know if simplified is of two landscapes. The much more Devon like with green fields , with the spine of the moors running down through the centre, onto the far west which is very different with the granite being more visible to the sea edge,the sea can be seen at both coasts from the centre, in places as the spine of Cornwall is so narrow.. Around Zenor is stunning and the Minak Theatre. Certainly lots to plan I am sure.

Julian - many thanks for taking the time for such a detailed reply. Forgive me if I'm not entirely with it tonight, but we lost another of our cats today. Not entirely unexpected, but no diagnosis and recent physical and blood tests still showed nothing wrong.

If Gwithian is the same as what I'm calling Godrevy, then that is where I have moved my attention. We looked at it quite a bit last night and seems to have so much more potential. Grassy dunes, potential seascapes with rocks below and as you say... the lighthouse as a back drop. I have a fixed ankle already, but I'm sure you understand this also leads to bad knees and back. I could do Bedruthen if I wanted to, but it would just ruin me for another day on the trip. The descent to St Nectan's Glen looks bad enough and I'm a year older than I was in the Peak District!

At the moment... Cornwall can't come soon enough :(

Edited to say those are two stunning images and nothing like others I have seen at Bedruthen

Last edited:
Lesley yes sorry Godrevy, Gwithian, Hayle yes same ish location. We tend to say Gwithian in reference to the stretch of beach.
You are right about the interest there, It can be wild at times with fantastic light, the rocks off shore and a light house. It is also quite interesting on the dunes at Hayle. There are many small huts, wooden small houses among the dudes, many of the residents collect from the beach all sorts of objects and hang them around the trees or make small sculptures. Of course you would not be far from St.Michaels Mount in Mounts Bay. I will certainly be looking forward to what you come away with.

Back