Critique Welcomed Desert Center, California

What wonderful colours. Has a real sense of a little place sitting in the middle of nowhere. Great one.

Last edited:
What wondrful colours. Has a real sense of a little place sitting in the middle of nowhere. Great one.
Thanks Dave. You nailed it: It is indeed a little place in the middle of nowhere. The only functional endeavor is the post office, which is inside the building in the foreground; the cafe and service station, which are in the background, are abandoned. There is precious little else there.

An alternative take on Vermillion Sands! It does have a nice feeling of isolation about the place and the colours give it a slightly other-worldly feel.
Thanks Pete. I'm not sure what to make of the colors. It was very late in the day--much darker in fact than the image portrays--and I think I was shooting wide open (f1.8) with a fairly long hand held exposure (probably 1/30th but could have been 1/15th, as the Canon P can tolerate that speed hand held if I'm real careful.)

Do Americans distinguish between desert and dessert? Quite a strange shot. I really like it.
Yes. More Americans eat dessert than do desert. Although some do eat desert. For example, off road cyclists and motorcyclists who go over their handle bars and land face first in the desert floor.

Thanks Rob. Glad you like the fotie.

Back