Dia de los Muertos 2012

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
The Mexican Day of the Dead – Dia de los Muertos is a festive and celebrative time. It is a holiday with a complex history and fusion of old traditions. This view of death started with Meso–American cultures such as the Olmecs more than 3,000 years ago.

Meso–Americans believed that during this time of the year, the boundaries that separate the living and the dead weaken and that the deceased could visit the living.

Many immigrants, especially the Oaxacan community, have brought these traditions with them. Non-Mexicans are learning that Dia de los Muertos is a celebration of life and death that speaks to everyone who has lost somebody.

My local festival is held at the Catholic Mission in Oceanside, and is very well attended - with tributes to the deceased, traditional dancing, mexican food, and many people dressed as skeletons and sugar skulls.

8133520726_7658e16a08_b.jpg

Skull Sculpture and offering of Milk

8133494667_1368c7fe41_b.jpg

Tributes to the deceased

8133494929_9148d0c13a_b.jpg

Leche and Pan de los Muertos offerings

8133495107_2fbfc2d8ed_b.jpg

Iēsus Nazarēnus, Rēx Iūdaeōrum

8133521598_e72aa65e2f_b.jpg

Sugar Skull Masks

8133495555_5659577b9f_b.jpg

Mariachi Guitars

8133522068_069961b989_b.jpg

Sugar Skull

8133522288_a0837f323a_b.jpg

8133496363_a5c54df2f4_b.jpg

8133522842_d15f0f6620_b.jpg

8133496925_83cafdc22b_b.jpg

Dia de Los Muertos Skeleton

8133497195_670d745a37_b.jpg

Dia de Los Muertos Skeleton

8133497401_e9929a40af_b.jpg

Half Sugar Skull

For the shots at the shines, I hand metered the exposure, and used an 3 stop ND filter to allow me to shoot wide open in full sunlight. I just had to add a 3 stop offset to the meter to compensate for the ND filter on the camera.

This gave me 1/4000 f/1.4 ISO200 in full sun.

For the people shots, I used fill flash, still with the ND filter fitted, as this kept the shutter speed within range for flash sync. I mostly backed the flash off -1/3Ev to avoid an overtly 'flash' look.

All shots are with the 35mm f/1.4 lens on the X-Pro1.

Last edited:
Chris love the portraits. Not into all the scary dressing up but these places do give a good opportunity to shoot away. Interesting what you say about metering and the use of the Filters. With the OM-D having a top 1/4000 shutter it is the only route to be able to use the f1.8 lenses, I have wide open a lot of the time, in good light. I hope to get the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 Leica DG , in the week , which will have a greater need for the ND filter.

Nice set indeed Chris, It reminds me I fancied getting a sugar skull tattooed :)

Great stuff Chris. If I'm not mistaken you posted similar portraits this time last year. They were great too. But I think this batch is better than last year's! Really well done. (And thanks for the explanation on how you did the shots!)

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing stranger in this world than a Mexican...

Great shots, Chris!
HAHAHA. But they may say the same about us, Rob! I was watching a football match a few years ago. Scotland vs Somebody. It was being broadcast here on a Spanish language station. The Mexican commentators were clearly listening in on the Scots commentators because from time-to-time they'd mimic a Scots sound (such as the oooo sound in booted) and they'd have a good chuckle about it. And I had a laugh at them having a laugh and mimicking.:D

Fascinating indigious culture within organised religion ... i feel these isles (Albion) would have so benefitted keeping the old religions alive amongst the literal church.
Thank you for being there & taking the photos.

Right me needs to head to Camden market for a Burrito, Hombre.

Last edited:
Love the second last, it's very nice portrait, the fact that she is staring away from the camera adds emotion to this shot I think.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

It's a slightly odd feeling for someone from Blighty - a very alien concept in a way, and the overtones from cultural and religious imagery are very powerful.

The whole thing is very festive though, despite the subject matter - and I find that very refreshing.

The food is also excellent! :D :D :D

Jim - she really was playing the part very well, and posed without direction to give me that powerful but distant stare.

Beth - love those guitars - I photograph them when ever I see them for sale - so colorful

Pete - well spotted, last shot was too bright to get it within sync range for the flash, so no fill flash used - you are indeed back to your eagle eyed best :)

Brian - many thanks - after your comments I went back and reviewed my images from last year on Flickr, all taken with the 5DII. Very happy with the progress in IQ and comp/styling - it's been a good year.

Ahmad - Burrito in Camden!

Here's one more shot from the day - All aglow

8135467563_f95f51f353_o.jpg

Back