Grandkids And Fuji 23mm F/1.4

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
I'l preface this, by saying that chasing kids around with a camera, and trying to shoot at the narrow DOF you get with f/1.4, is sometimes an exercise in futility.

It certainly tries the patience, and justifies shooting digital instead of film!

Today, I took on Addy and Alyssa with the new Fuji 23mm f/1.4 (35mm equiv focal length) and the X-Pro1.

Needless to say, I had my fair share of missed shots, but the keepers make it all worth while :)

10236254034_221dd03382_c.jpg

Addy tries to decide - Churro now, or later? (A Churro is a log shaped sugar covered donut)

I kept the shot in color as her lips and the straw really popped.

X-Pro1 and 23mm Lens @ f/1.4

10236430053_1f7900cf06_c.jpg

Churro now!

X-Pro1 and 23mm Lens @ f/1.4

Off to the park to run off some of that churro sugar!

10236255504_87bb33365e_c.jpg

Aerial Ballet

X-Pro1 and 23mm Lens with 3 stop ND Filter @ f/1.4 - NIK Silver FX with 'Film' profile in PP

10236984744_29d4cbf972_c.jpg

I'm King of the World!

Addy relives a Titanic moment :)

X-Pro1 and 23mm Lens with 3 stop ND Filter @ f/1.4 - NIK Silver FX with 'Film' profile in PP

10237162293_9f075fc7cf_c.jpg

Barbie Slipper

X-Pro1 and 23mm Lens with 3 stop ND Filter @ f/1.4 - cross processed in NIK ColorFX

10237089665_41dbb79fc3_c.jpg

Swing

X-Pro1 and 23mm Lens with 3 stop ND Filter @ f/8 - NIK Silver FX with 'Film' profile in PP

Shot into the sun - very pleased with the lack of flare

Concluions - well worth the effort - love the 3D separation of subject, and the super smooth bokeh.

Absolutely superb, Chris. Compare these to our childhood photos - no comparison. They'll love these when the are older. Fantastic lens and great compositions...and beautiful models. What's not to like?

Wunnerful wunnerful wunnerful!

That Barbie Slipper is a real cracker! :D

Edit:
Wait,...that swing shot is magical, too! I think years from now that one especially will be cherished.

Absolutely superb, Chris. Compare these to our childhood photos - no comparison. They'll love these when the are older. Fantastic lens and great compositions...and beautiful models. What's not to like?
Thanks Rob - right now they run the other way when they see papa with his camera! :D

They are wonderful images Chris, real beauties :cool:
Thanks Dave - I've been neglecting my grandkids photographically recently, so it's nice to get back to photographing them

Wunnerful wunnerful wunnerful!

That Barbie Slipper is a real cracker! :D

Edit:
Wait,...that swing shot is magical, too! I think years from now that one especially will be cherished.
Thanks Brian - Funny how we like the same stuff - swmbo was puzzled by my Barbie shot, she asked why I'd cut off Addy! :D

very nice, and this 23 1.4 seems very good!

is it sharp like 35 1.4?
Thanks Mauro - yes, I'm happy to say it is as sharp as the 35mm, with better bokeh - a real gem :)

Back