Diary of a Nikon D800 user

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
I've decided to do a bit of a diary of owning the Nikon D800. I'm not really capable of doing any in depth review, nor do I see the point when there are so many out there. What I am going to do instead is loosely document my thoughts toward the camera as the days and weeks go by.

D800 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

My hand was a touch forced when it came to buying this camera, I previously owned a D3 which served me well for some 3-4 years. Unfortunately it recently died after I got caught out in a heavy down pour. The repair agent said "uneconomical to repair" and I had it insured for £3000, not enough money to replace it with a D4! I was initially a little disappointed (and angry at my self for not adjusting my insurance). My gut reaction was to take a punt on a used D3s, but after chatting with a few people it seemed buying new tech would be a better idea... For one, I would have a new camera with a new warranty.

So I started reading the reviews on the D800. My initial reaction when it was first released were of scepticism about the requirement for 36mp - I'm a Nikon user don't forget, we have had nothing but 12mp in pro bodies for years (excluding of course the outrageously expensive D3x). Big pixels, better low light, cleaner photos is like some sort of mantra to some Nikon users. The D800 flys in the face of this, with not only more pixels than any other Nikon, but more pixels than any other DSLR. This thing is MF territory ... but at what cost? low light performance will surely suffer?? Well, time will tell, I will be reporting back on that one in due course ...
If the likes of KR are to be believed its as good as the D4 (questionable!!!). I suspect the reality is closer to what Kai of digital rev has to say, its as good if not better than the d700

Here is the Digital Rev / Kai review ... it helped me get my head around things a bit in the build up the this purchase
[video=youtube;MT6ilCd7CS4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT6ilCd7CS4 [/video]

Anyway, speculation, I have one here so I don't need to speculate, I can play and report back ... I'm just trying to give you some insight into my thought process leading up to this purchase - I wasn't entierlyconvinced it was right for me!

The other "issue" is file size which leads me to my first observation...
I took a couple of pictures with it before writing this, put them on my computer and opened LR4.
My computer is a Laptop, i5 m460 2.53ghz with 4gb ram ... basically its a bit crap. It doesn't like D800 files much, they take an age to load! No probs, we are looking at MBPing out the office soon ... but for now I'm going to struggle to handle these files comfortably! Some experimentation with compressed NEFs is on the cards!

Other than file size and the unknown high iso results, once you get your head around this camera all of a sudden it starts to make a lot of sense! Same, focusing system of D4, same metering system of D4, more than twice the rez of D4... slower than D4 maybe, but I'm no sports photog ... The only time I can see 4fps being an issue for what I do is when I like to take photos of people chucking confetti at the B&G at a wedding ... I cant think of another situation in 5 years of being a "pro" I have needed more.
Maybe the D4 is more resilient... well my D3 died in a bit of rain... and had to go back to Nikon twice in its life after inexplicable on the job deaths! I just need to look after my kit better!

So to my current thoughts, I've taken a photo of both D700 and D800

D800 (again for ref)

D800 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

D700

D700 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

Quite similar... but they do feel different! the D800 is definitely lighter! As Kai points out the thumb grip is smaller on the D800, but other than the the D800 feels better, ergonomically speaking. The Screen on the back of the D800 is also bigger and although on paper the same rez, is clearer looking!

I have a few instant observations on the controls...
I prefer the AF selector on the D800, I always have to look at it on the D700 as its a three way switch and I often switch between AF-s and AF-c. With the two way switch with the button in the middle once its on af, you just press the centre button to flick between the AF modes ... There is no chance of flicking to manual focus at a frustrating moment.

The biggest improvement I have noticed so far is something I have wanted in a camera since I realised the benefits of auto iso ... Not detection of lens and auto lower shutter speed limit that most are banging on about (which is nice I agree) ... but only really relevant if you shoot zooms with big ranges in my opinion.
But the ability to flick between auto and manual iso by rotating the jog dial under your fore finger. So, thumb selects iso, and forefinger selects between auto and manual iso. I cant tell you how much of a big deal that is to me and my shooting methods!

So yeah, that's my thoughts so far... I shall be updating this thread as I go!

Last edited:
I know my dad had issues with the file size like you have, he's already had to invest in another 1TB just to deal with the space needed.

first go at video ... a bit rubbish!
I really want a follow focus now!!
(the over exposure was intentional :))

[video=youtube_share;zpGWx89IjFs]http://youtu.be/zpGWx89IjFs[/video]

Here is my first photo of any merit ... this was shot raw, 14bit uncompressed adobe rgb.
I then dropped it into lightroom and exported it at 1000px wide srgb and uploaded it to flickr

Steve, d800 testing by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

here is a crop, exported at its native size

he is a sharpened version with a bit of clairty and a few other adjustments

and a final image with my standard pp

- - - Updated - - -

I know my dad had issues with the file size like you have, he's already had to invest in another 1TB just to deal with the space needed.

Yeah, I might need more space very soon ... Ive just bought a 64gb sd for the wedding next weekend!

Yeah, I might need more space very soon ... Ive just bought a 64gb sd for the wedding next weekend!

So you should get about 4 photo's then :D

A couple of shots from today http://www.realphotographersforum.com/people-portraits/6969-buying-books.html#post58853

I shall sit my self down and watch that later Pete!
Ive been looking at follow focus's and various shoulder mouting rig jobbies today...

this is the main contender at the mo... featuring the D|focus follow focus that mr Bloom seems to speak quite highly of!

403.jpg

D|Focus - Austin Rig Bundle | eBay

D800 vs D700 High ISO/Low light tests

I have a wedding next weekend ... as such I have decided it is important to get to grips with the low light/high iso performance of the camera compared to what I am used to - the d700

The cameras were set to the same white balance and shutter and aperture
The raw images were imported into lightroom
Lightroom applies +25 on the colour noise reduction straight away as standard ... not sure why ...
If you take that 25 off, you get a hell of a lot of colour noise from both cameras
It seems to me that this starting point (+25 colour nr) is a sensible place to start for comparison as I would never not apply that anyway.
Where an image is denoted to have NR I have applied 30 on the luminance NR and 70 on the detail control ... I have done this across the board to make it consistent.
If you feel I have done anything silly feel free to download my NEF files from the links at the bottom of this post.

Slightly annoying... Im not sure the 50mm is focusing quite bang on, I had focuses on the screw, but the pilar behind looks a touch sharper ... anyway, that's my problem and doesn't really effect the experiment.

I set my self up a little test scene in a dark area of my living room
I will go through the iso settings in order and comment accordingly

d700 3200 iso

d700 3200 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

d800 3200 iso

d800 3200 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

d700 3200 iso cropped

d700 3200 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

d800 3200 iso cropped

d800 3200 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

d700 3200 iso cropped with NR

d700 3200 NR by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

d800 3200 iso cropped with NR

d800 3200 NR by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

No great differences at 3200 iso between the cameras in my opinion

d700 6400iso

d700 6400 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

d800 6400iso

d800 6400 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

d700 6400iso crop

d700 6400 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

d800 6400iso crop

d800 6400 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

d700 6400iso crop with NR

d700 6400 NR by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

d800 6400 crop with NR

d800 6400 NR by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

Here at 6400 I think there is a slight detail and noise advantage with the d800, but its no great deal!

d700 12800

d700 12800 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

d800 12800

d800 12800 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

d700 12800

d700 12800 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

d800 12800

d800 12800 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

d700 12800 NR

d700 12800 NR by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

d800 12800 NR

d800 12800 NR by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

The D800 is starting to show some greater level of advantage

d700 25600 iso

d700 25600 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

d800 25600 iso

d800 25600 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

d700 25600 iso crop

d700 25600 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

d800 25600 iso crop

d800 25600 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

d700 25600 iso crop NR

d700 25600 NR by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

d800 25600 iso crop NR

d800 25600 NR by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

At 25600 he d800 seems to retain a lot more detail.
For me this is a big advantage, the biggest issue with high iso shooting has always been the lack of detail that is in turn made worse by the necessity to apply noise reduction to get rid of the grain...
There is less grain, so less need to apply NR and more detail to start with!
In this respect I think the d800 is a better camera for low light shooting than the d700 in my opinion!

The one area where the d800 seems to be worse than the d700 is in shadow areas, not so in terms of noise, but there is a more noticeable blue/purple shift. This is obviously not great, most low light shooting tends to contain areas of dark. A little tinkering and it seems it is manageable ... In fact, ive found just lowing the purple channel slightly in LR gets rid.
I personally doubt I will often shoot at the iso's where the d800 is better than the d700. But I have at least put my mind to rest for next weekends shooting!

If you would like to play with the raw files your selves, here are the d800 nefs and d700 nefs for download.

Looking at these on a different screen the blue shift is less evident ... Maybe it's less of an issue than i thought ...
ill play a bit more on my big screen at work I think!
Anyway, the NEFS are there for download if you want to see if you can see for your self...

- - - Updated - - -

... Thinking about it...
maybe I will have confidence to shoot above 6400iso now ...
maybe I'll snap a few in real life circumstances at this wedding next week and see how they come out!
I bet converted to black and white they would make for very nice shots even, maybe, as high as 25600 ISO??
ill have a go and post some at some point ...

Fitted my dk17m today ... The viewfinder on this camera is one of the nicest I have used!
It's actually very easy to manual focus, much easier than the d700 and even d3 in my opinion!
The dk17m just gives it that extra bit of mag ...

9798c5f1.jpg

Also discovered a few things:
If you want to use the interval timer or time lapse movie mode you must set the date first!
Out of the box the fn button activates the very cool dual axis level in the view finder...
when setting auto ISO with auto detect on the focal length you can set it to 1 or 2 stops above or below - as standard zooming to 30mm will give a 30th shutter ... No good to me! But if you change the settings it will only drop it to 125th.
Next upgrade for this feture IMO would be to have the ability to set lowest shutter speed per focal length...

Another discovery is that the aperture couple inside the camera projects slightly further out. No issue until you try to mount a optically corrected m42 mount adapter - mine at least interferes with the aperture couple. This means that you get a disconcerting "err" come up on the top screen after every photo. It also means live view and video won't work!
Ice tried filing my adapter down but I can't take enough off...
Non optically corrected adapter on the way from eBay :)

A quick go with the time lapse feature ... its a bit better than using the iphone ;)

[video=youtube_share;Z5P4_ErxF2c]http://youtu.be/Z5P4_ErxF2c[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

I should add, that was shot with the tamron 17mm sp, hence the flare :)

Was thinking about longer time lapse vids and realise that I would need a power supply.
The d800 doesnt have a power point so it seems you need one of these

4263156504.jpg
Nikon UK - Accessories - SLR - Power - AC Adaptors - AC Adapter Connector EP-5B - Digital Cameras, D-SLR, COOLPIX, NIKKOR Lenses

and one of these
2063279392.jpg
Nikon UK - Accessories - SLR - Power - AC Adaptors - AC Adapter EH-5b - Digital Cameras, D-SLR, COOLPIX, NIKKOR Lenses

total cost seems to be around £50 ... if there is one thing that ****** me off in life its over priced proprietary psu's :/

Definitely!
At one stage when I was at the shop, we could buy a Nikon d40 from jessops for a penny less than we could from Nikon ...
Accesories are where the margin is top down!
As a shop, they were often the only way to make, never mind increase profit
Doenst stop me moaning though ;)

Back