Diary of a Nikon D800 user

Technology really is delivering in the current round of digital cameras - the step up in performance, especially in the noise and smooth grad areas is simply HUGE :)

Hard to go back when you've played with the new stuff eh Hamish ;)

Your not wrong!
This and the rx100 are such a huge step up from my previous cameras ... And even the rx100 is nearly double what I have been shooting pixel wise.

Good work!
And good money ... I debated getting mine from Paul, but the convenience of local collection won out!
Be interested in your thoughts!
I can't see the minor gains of the "e" being worth the possible sacrifices either ...
Sharpening can always be added pp and I bet the d800 gets damn close to the e when it is ...
(didn't we read something about that once??)

We did indeed and I'm still not entirely sure what Nikon have done to create the E variant. Some reviews state that is does not have an AA filter but others say that the light path has been modified to prevent blurring!

For example:

"So now that we know what an AA filter is, and that 99%+ of all cameras ever made have them, why has Nikon chosen to produce a second model, the D800e, effectively without an AA filter? (I write effectively, because Nikon hasn't just removed the AA filter. They have modified the sensor's light path such that intentional blurring is removed, but otherwise the path is unaffected)."

Ref - Nikon-D800-or-D800e

D800 - Yes it is that good ...

A couple of people have asked me about how good the d800 is recently.
I don't really know how to say just how good it is, so I have taken a pair of shots with a sharp lens at its optimum aperture for edge to edge sharpness - namely the 28mm 1.8 at f/5.6.
Both of these have been processed and sharpened in lightroom as I dont really see the point in sharing unprocessed images when we all do it... slightly smoother image quality can be achieved with a touch more NR, but I went for detail.
If you click on them to go through to flickr you can view at the original resolution.

f/5.6 125th 100iso

That shot of the canal again by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

f/5.6 250th 100iso

Canal thing and buildings by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

And those are without a tripod, m/up, self time etc just hand held snaps ... impressive int it ... :)

You should Pete!
It is but isn't it Rob!
i have to be careful in the studio when I have people in for portraits ... Checking focus on the computer after by zooming in ... It can be upsetting for people

In terms of image quality? Pretty damn close Id say!
I do frequently wonder if I need 36mp... Personally I don't think it's worth it for hobby work. For work work, it gives me piece of mind that I can provide such large files! It is a pleasure to work with huge files for my hobby though, you just feel like there has been little or no compromise or limit on the quality. In fact I almost always feel like the d800 is testing me ... Am I capable of using a camera like this to the extent of the capability of its output??
Would I feel the same with a d600... Not now ive used a d800... But I would imagine I would struggle to tell the difference between the output!

In tens of usability I would also struggle to return to the d600 - it is clearly designed as a step up from an consumer level camera and not a step down from a pro level. It has an "auto" mode and no "AF-on" button, it's small and light weight and feels to me a little off balance with the larger pro lenses (eg 24-70mm) - it does though feel very nice in the hand with the 28mm 1.8 which it's self is very small and light!

tough one really, but at around £1500 the d600 is almost becoming a no brainer (if you have some full frame lenses)

Thanks Hamish.

I do have some full frame lenses. I was advised by an assistant in a local store that the D700 was better than the D600. That may be the case in handling but not in resolution. I may have to go and have a look at both. My thoughts were leaning toward the D600 and adding a couple of lenses (used) for the same price as the D800 body.

As you rightly point out it depends on if it is a hobby or a proffession.

I wouldn't buy a d700 now ... great camera, but very much bettered by the new generation ...

I think your plan sounds wise matey!

Get your self a 28 1.8 if you can justify it ... its really a stunning lens!

- - - Updated - - -

Milan, ive merged these threads

Hi Hamish,

I have a Nikkor 24mm f2.8, an old Tamron 28-200 which is a bit soft. The lens I am really looking forward to trying on a FX body is my Tokina 16-28mm f2.8 which should deliver some excellent results.

Back