Diary of a Sony RX100 user

Unless you quite heavily altered the jpeg output of the rx100 i think you will like what can be done with the raw files ...
The standard jpegs are a bit "sony" looking imo

I'd just finished heavily editing one of the JPEGs last night but I'll post it anyway. I'm still struggling with the camera for stills though - not sure why exactly but it is not gelling. But the video looks good. I shot some in Venice (both for video and because i left my sound recorder in the UK by mistake) and will have play with what I got next week some time.

No, but it is not just that. I seem to miss focus easily (probably because the shutter is so sensitive) and would prefer a smaller focus point and do seem to switch functions on at random! Just clumsy I guess and not used to this level of 'automation' - I know you can use it in a more 'manual' manner but so far I've struggled. Ina likes it though so it won't be wasted! Have been looking at the Sigma DP2 Merrill as well. It seems the quest is not quite over yet! But I haven't given it with the Sony yet.

How I set up my RX100

I've set mine up to work as quick as possible in two situations at the flick of a switch.
Day time and lowlight.

So...
There is no means to set the lower shutter speed when using auto iso and aperture priority. It just sets it to be equal to the focal length.
Because of this leaving the camera on aperture priority is impractical.
As soon as you start shooting in low light at the wide end you end up with 30sec ... No use for what I use the camera for - people.

So I set the camera to use uncapped auto iso. (125 min 6400 max - if you go back a few pages you will see why I'm comfortable with 6400 iso for low light stuff)

In day light I set the camera to aperture priority.
In low light i quickly flick it to shutter priority. I have the shutter speed pre set to 1/80th.
Because the camera will always use a wider aperture before it ups the ISO and because I would always use the widest aperture in low light anyway this works quite well.

As for the other settings. I shoot in raw so leave wb on auto.
Focus area - centre - I don't really ever use anything else on any camera ...
focus mode - single-shot AF
Face detection - on (without smile shutter or the face register) - I actually find the face detection exceptionally good for shooting Connie. Sometimes it seems to focus on her face even before its shown me it has. It might not actually do this, it just sometimes seems so fast. Quite often I can just jam my finger on the shutter and get the shot when its a portrait of her- which is quite the feat!
Multi mode metering
Adobe RGB
Everything else in the setting with the picture of the camera I have left as was I think.

In the settings (cog) menu I've changed the fn button to have the following
iso (which gives me as quick as i need access to switch auto iso off etc)
exposure comp
flash comp
drive mode
metering mode
af mode
focus mode

in the spanner menu
mode dial guide - off
Audio off

you can of course set these to memory recall, but my settings don't differ enough to need to. (although I do have memory recall 1 as shutter priority and memory 2 as aperture. I then also have memory recall 3 with the settings above but on Manual mode with manual focus - useful for things like fireworks etc)

Thats it I think ...

Thanks Hamish. I'd forgotten you'd posted some of this before. I use flexible spot for focus although I leave it in the middle most of the time as it seems to have a smaller area than centre. I'd not picked up on the Shutter Priority mode tip before and will give that a go. Most of my settings are as yours except I've now only got ISO on the function button as I was getting annoyed with ending up in the incorrect area and accidentally selecting something (clumsy or what - actually half the problem is that I need reading glasses to see some of the options!). I don't use the face recognition but maybe I should give it another try. Finally, I was so pleased to find the mode guide dial option - and it took me bloody ages - as that was really pisssing me off (Paul, it's in the Spanner Menu). Paul was telling me this evening about his method for zone focusing with the RX100. I'll let him explain though.

Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm busy trying to find a decent external charger. As soon as I do I'll post a link. Why?!

It sounds as though your feelings might be changing toward it?

as far as zone focusing goes, I'd be interested to hear that ... Although I've not yet needed anything other than the rapid AF ... It would be nice if it had a ricoh like "snap" mode (I did some digging and worked out it was the gx100 that I had once - the snap mode I liked - funnily enough I was reminded of it using the gr1)

Well I shall wait for Paul's thoughts on zone focusing the Sony...

I reckon your just being stubborn ... You know it's good! ;)

The GRDv could pull me you know ... I rarely use the rx100 at anything other than 28mm, the 28mm lives on the d800 but for studio stuff and I love the gr1 ... ... It's just a good fov!

Been thinking more about this camera and what it offers me ...
It really hit home using it at focus just how useful it is ... Ok the light was pretty good in there and I didn't need perfect photos but what I got was exactly what I needed! Perfect for the purpose!
The 1" sensor seems to strike a great balance! On one hand it's big enough to get me good quality, on the other hand it's small enough to give me good broad dof even at f/1.8 ...
Just a passing thought really, but the prospect of more big sensor compact cameras close to its size should make me wonder if I'm going to find a replacement for this camera ... I'm just starting to think it fits a very definate purpose! Sometimes a small sensor is just useful ... Especially if its a bloody good one!

- - - Updated - - -

Been thinking more about this camera and what it offers me ...
It really hit home using it at focus just how useful it is ... Ok the light was pretty good in there and I didn't need perfect photos but what I got was exactly what I needed! Perfect for the purpose!
The 1" sensor seems to strike a great balance! On one hand it's big enough to get me good quality, on the other hand it's small enough to give me good broad dof even at f/1.8 ...
Just a passing thought really, but the prospect of more big sensor compact cameras close to its size should make me wonder if I'm going to find a replacement for this camera ... I'm just starting to think it fits a very definate purpose! Sometimes a small sensor is just useful ... Especially if its a bloody good one!

Back