Diary of a Sony RX100 user

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
For some time now I have been looking for a truly pocketable good compact digital camera... When I say some time, what I really mean is, since the introduction of digital! I might well have at long last found that camera!

Rx100 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

I thought I would do a little diary like the http://www.realphotographersforum.com/digital-cameras/6960-diary-nikon-d800-user.html I'm doing ... first a bit of back story that's got me here...

My first digital (of note) was a Canon powershot s60 it was very average... It was stolen, so I quite happily went back to shooting film with my Nikon F60.
I eventually got a job at a camera shop, and really lost interest in compact digitals very quickly! I lusted after and eventually bought my first "real" digital camera a Nikon D70. It walked all over every compact in the shop! There really was zero contest! I had a brief flirtation with a frankly awful sony P200, Fuji piqued my interest with the f30/f31/f31fd but whilst hoping they would bring out a thinner version they brought out the f40fd - a disappointment by comparison.
I waited and nothing happened 1/1.7" sensor after 1/1.7" sensor they came out ... nikons p7000 looked interesting ... no raw, passable image quality, no deal! I had a ricoh of some sort, that was quite nice... panasonic lx3, yep, fine, pretty flat looking photos to my eye!
I found the epson rd1, not small, but small enough and slr quality - I still use it, but it doesnt fit in my pocket.
Then came the m4/3rds cameras - I bought the panny gf1, great camera, too big, to complicated!
Each time I go back to the digital slr.
Fuji X100, great camera, still to big, does nothing for me that the Epson rd1 doesnt do better.
By this time I have a family too, I want something I can use like its a pro camera, but the missis can use like its a basic p&s - nikon 1 system comes out... we might be on to something here? No, too many little things about it that dont quite fit! Its a bit to consumer and a bit too big to go in my pocket!
The Sony RX100 registered on my radar the day it was announced, but 20mp ... no, that was going to be a compromise even on its 1" sensor. Then I bought a nikon d800 and my preconceptions about pixel count went out the window! Then I read the Luminous Landscapes review, then the Steve Huff review ... hmm, sod it, ill take a punt!

I'm looking for this camera to completely replace the fuji x100, my supposed carry everywhere camera that I haven't carried anywhere for a long time (the battery is flat and Ive been taking the epson rd1 instead).
So... how does it fair?
So far, image quality is better than I was expecting ...
(I have tweaked the colours a bit here - nothing major ...)

Connie 13 08 12 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

It is also extremely quick at focusing ... All these shots were first attempts - I often miss this silly face she does!

Nice bit of subject separation from the back ground at 28mm/1.8

I would have got these shots with my D800, but I wouldnt have got them with the fuji x100 without a whole load of luck!

It does have its annoyances though... not least in the auto iso department! No floating iso in manual mode?? no ability to adjust the lower shutter speed in auto iso?? These features are surly standard requirements by now??

No current adobe support... ok, this will be fixed, but it bugged me when I found out! The above shots were converted to tiff using the sony software then processed in LR a bit more to my taste ...

I processed them as they do have that compact sony "look" ... a bit poppy and bright ... hopefully there will be more scope for adjustment when I have raw support!

Putting those aside, so far I'm very happy and confident that both my self and my missis should be able to get a lot of very satisfactory shots out of this camera!

Anyway, I will report back soon ... hopefully my positivity and positive experiences will continue!

In the meanwhile, does anyone wanna buy my fuji x100? its now formally for sale! :)

Just to give you an idea of just how pocketable it is ...

59E423C9-524E-45C7-87DC-85F3661384F7-2636-00000318866FEDED.jpg

48B5CCE2-6D0C-49EE-8DC5-E189C1ACC4B7-2636-0000031881924681.jpg

Bare in mind this thing has the same size imaging sensor as the Nikon 1 system

Looking good Hamish - will look forward to further installments and images :)

Very impressive, given its size.

That really is the key to this thing ... small size, yet still impressive!
I know I sound like a right moan when I talk about compact cameras ... but it does surprise me that in all the years since the invent of digital, no manufacture has managed to get it right in terms of image quality when it comes to actual compact cameras!
This is the first pillar of hope as far as im concerned!

Some video in the hands of a clever video person

[video]http://vimeo.com/m/46543444[/video]

Eh Pete, you bought one of these cameras yet? I think I might have found a replacement for your Ricoh ;)

Last edited:
What do you mean the P7000 doesn't shoot RAW and it has pretty good image quality as far as I can tell. However, in saying that I am looking to replace it some day, it is very much a camera that you constantly find yourself working around rather than working with. I do find the fast EV compensation very handy; a biggish dial on the top of the camera.

How easy (fast) is it to change ISO and EV with the Sony?

Maybe it was the p6000 that didnt shoot raw ... iq is fine, but dont try and tell me there isnt a chasm of difference between it and your d3000!!

as for control
press fn once then rotate the wheel on the lens for ev
press fn twice then rotate the wheel on the lens for iso
Its one of those cameras that does a hell of a lot of stuff, but despite its lack of controls is actually pretty intuitive to use!

There is a chasm of difference between IQ of the P7000 and D7000 ;).

Seems pretty well thought out too, can't stand cameras that have all the useful functions that are buried in menu after menu. Another question, how fast is the interface especially with RAW. The P7000 is rather sluggish even when just calling up the ISO menu. Shutter lag is a problem too. I know you won't have a basis of comparison but does it feel quite snappy if you'll excuse the pun.

Yes! (I have shot with a p7000, all be it borrowed from the shot)
Very little shutter lag if any! focusing is instantaneous ... The face detection is awesome too - I can't belive I have just typed that - but it works so well and so fast... Faster than I could make a decision to do what it does anyway!
im shooting raw and Jpeg simultaneously and it's not stopped me in my tracks yet!

... yeah, and bare in mind this is just an out of camera jpeg!
once adobe support the camera im sure even better results will be available from raw

Ive order some accessories today ...
Acmaxx screen protector ACMAXX 3.0" HARD LCD SCREEN ARMOR PROTECTOR Sony Cyber-shot RX100/B RX-100 | eBay

Acmaxx uv filter - Im not one for filters but these things look pretty good
ACMAXX Multi-Coated LENS ARMOR UV attached FILTER Sony Cyber-shot RX100 RX-100 B | eBay

And a leather strap made by a chap just up the road in redditch Camera Wrist Strap (Leather) Fits Fuji X100,Leica M, Sony, Panasonic,Nikon,Canon | eBay

... its going to be a bit tricked out this camera once I have the Franiec grip!

Back