Diary of a Sony RX100 user

Hellooo..yeah. Sorry for radio silence. iMac getting knackered, and only just getting my ol work laptop up to speeed..
Well how's that for synchronicity. Looked in the cupboard this morning, saw the Fuji X100 sitting there and said to Fiona how funny that i adden't usedit in ages. Blamed the rain..but can't help agreeing with just about all you've said here. The Fuji just isn't that compact. I'll stick with it, if only cos I paid top dollar..and I still love it. BUT..still want a compact. Sounds like this would foot the bill, if only I hadn't spent up on hifi kit of late !!

Haha ... damn hifi, still, worth it! :)
Id be surprised if the x100 came out of the cupboard if you bought one ...

This is the result of using the acmaxx filter ... not for me!
_DSC0274.jpg

Thanks Hamish. I'm pleased you wrote this (and bought) one as I've been looking at them. The one plus of the GR Digital over the RX100 is the ergonomics and I was wondering if this grip might redress that. It seems it might and I think I'll order one too.

Yeah ... Thems would be my sentiments if either a: my mac had turned up or b: my pc laptop wasn't completely knackered!
I realise today after downloading a website to edit thy my c drive (the os drive) had less than 1% available space ... For some reason it's running a bit slow ...
I can't really delete anything either as most of the drive is used up by the Dropbox so it's shared with other people who also need the files.
The solution is to change the size of the partitions allocating more to the c from the d ... But without downloading some clever software I can only work out how to do this by taking everything off the d partition and allocating the whole space to c... It's taking ages ...
the only reason I am sharing this is to vent my frustration at still not being able to look at rx100 raw files!!!

Didn't take an image as such, just backed the whole lot up!

Pretty much sorted now... Can't wait to get the mac though, this thing has been doing my head in for some time!
Gonna supercharge this it when I have the mac with a ssd and a stack of ram for fall back!

Anyway ... Yeah, get one! You can be in mine and Petes club ;)

Didn't realize you were going Mac Hamish - congrats :)

You're just going to be Mr Hipster Gadget of Worcestershire aren't you! :D

Be it advances in cameras, software, both ... not sure, one way or another I can now get usable 6400iso photos out of a digital camera I can fit in my pocket

here is a demo

Original shot
Taken using shutter priority -1/80th the auto iso selected the highest available 6400iso, and the aperture to the widest 1.8 producing a slightly underexposed image

Getting a decent 6400 iso shot out of the sony rx100 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

here is a crop with lightrooms standard "25" colour nr to the raw file

this is with the colour nr and +0.8 of a stop to get the exposure right

just to show what LR's colour NR does ... take away that standard colour nr and we are all sorts of trouble

bit of luminance NR

Convert to b&w and tweak

Final image

that would print to a reasonable size and id be more than happy with it!

- - - Updated - - -

... you could even add a bit of grain to disguise the noise a bit more ... but it seems its only the jpeg compression that makes it as bad as it is the above demos look better in lr

Looking good :)

The auto iso selected the highest available 6400iso

Can the Auto ISO have an upper limit set like on the Fuji's ?
For example 'Auto 3200' so the camera chooses something between 100 and 3200

Tried to order the cpl the other day ..
Am waiting for a response about the nd in te hope I can order both at te same time with some sort of discount

Back