Dumb lens hood question

Steve Boykin

After a lot of mental wrangling, I am more thaj likely going to be keeping my X100S (the rest I don't know yet due to some IRS problems). Anyway, the lens hood question is this:

I have this really cool little Sigma lens case I got I have no idea where (it's really old and made of actual leather). It has a shoulder strap and the X100 fits in it exactly with a clear filter on the front and this screw on el cheapo lens cap. If I put the lens hood on it doesn't fit. Sigh...

So...is a lens hood really necessary for someone like me, a person with limited to no basic photography skills? I am honestly asking this question because I'm not really sure what a lens hood does. I just have always put them on the lenses because well, they come with the lens so I assumed I needed to.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

SB

A lens hood will help out a lot with the quality of the image, basically when taking a photo is stops stray light coming in from the sides and boucing inside the lens. With a lens hood only the light in the direction you are pointing the camera in actually goes into the lens and into the camera, it would also cut down on some flare.

Here is a bit of info:

Lens hood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have a small basic plastic one on my D3100 and I have a neat collapsable rubber one on my FM2n :) hope that helps.

Here is my basic collapsable one, useful as its always attached and there when I need it but doen't get in the way like some rigid ones:

DSC_0964.jpg

Try it without ...

It's unlikely to cause any harm in a lot of situations and the ones where it does you can use your hand.

The point of a hood is to prevent light from entering the lens at wider angles than it needs to. Some of the effects of this light are flare where internal reflections can cause blobs of funny colours (I'm sure you are aware of that). Another possible issue is a loss of contrast to your images. This can be more of an issue at larger apertures (from experience).

David/Hamish- THANKS!!!!!!!!!

I'll try it without and also order a collaspible rubber one. I think it might still fit with a collapsible one.

David/Hamish- THANKS!!!!!!!!!

I'll try it without and also order a collaspible rubber one. I think it might still fit with a collapsible one.

The collapsible one I have is screwed onto a filter (just a basic UV one to protect the lens) so it kinda fits on the inside edge of the lens so shouldn't foul things.

Let us know how you get on :)

Back