Dyfi Furnace Waterfall

Darren Turner

XProPhotographer
5840590254_f089deb0d3_b.jpg

Water fall that would have turned the water wheel of the Dyfi furnace back in its day.

Daz

Ooooo, very nice - and a great name as well, very evocative

you rocking an ND, or was it just F cloudy?

thanks chris, i don't own an ND :-( i got away with this as it was set back in a cut out and very overgrown with trees from above so it was much darker.

Very good image. My eye enjoys following the descent and the main body of water has an intriguing gesture that reminds me of one of Duchamp's Nudes (descending a staircase). Also like the subtle changes of colour in the water and the curves of the aurora-type veils.

If the scene had been more brightly lit, and shot using an ND filter, would it have changed anything about the look of the photo apart from the usual effects on the water? I'm going to be trying out ND filters soon and hadn't thought about any effect they might have on colours, tones etc until you mentioned that you hadn't used one in this shot.

Cheers,

Kate

Kate - a good ND filter should be colour neutral, so should not change the image colours or ad a tone at all.

However - as you'd be using it in brighter conditions, the scene might look different as you mention - bright light can lead to less saturation, and issues exposing with deep shadow etc.

Worth getting an ND filter or two for sure - adds another tool to the camera kit bag - can also be useful when you want to have a narrow DOF in bright conditions.

Thanks Chris,

I like those gentle colour variations in Darren's waterfall so much that I was hoping to be able to mimic a similar effect when using an ND filter. And what you say about brighter conditions makes perfect sense. I'll just have to experiment, but a lot of what I'll be doing will be pre-dawn so I should be able to do some long exposure shots without an ND filter too.

I've got a couple of the most commonly used posh B+W ND's and am still waiting for that 10 stop just for fun.

Cheers,

Kate

Back