Early morning at the Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere

Rense Haveman

Sorry for another street photo. I am going through my old photos (this one is shot in 2013), merely because I am sitting home after a shoulder operation. It's weird that old photos that were nominated for the bin can come alive with better PP skills. This is an example: I liked the scene as soon as it caught my eye, but the result was not to my liking. Why I kept the photo I don't know. Probably 2013 is just not cleaned out yet. Once in a while I go through all previous years to throw away all nonsense that heaps up on the HD. Well, this one was still there.... I started working on it this morning, thought there were three things I still liked in this photo (the cobblestones, the water, and the silhouette)... After some time the capture came to life again, after 3 years in the HD tombe.... I even decided to lighten up the backlit lady, and it resulted in the photo here.

What is my point? Probably you (read: me) should keep photos a little longer, until skills are developed more. Sometimes, time will heal...:D
Let me know what you think of the photo, and how you treat photos of liked scenes that didn't come out like you saw it....

Early Morning at Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere
by Rense Haveman, on Flickr

Fine image. And point well-taken. I have many many images saved to the hard drive that never get posted and never will because they don't "speak" to me as images the way I hoped when I snapped the picture. I definitely need to cull the herd. But now and again I'll be going back through some and one will catch my eye like it hadn't before. A recent example was an image I posted a couple of days ago. "Sancho's Tacos" did nothing for me when I first developed and scanned it last year sometime. But looking at it again the other day it "spoke" to me. I liked the look of it. So I posted it to RPF. (Sadly,...it seems to be speaking just to me though because no one else has praised any of the virtues I saw in it. lol) Anyway, to your point, Rense, yes I believe its worth hanging on to images at least for a while to see if they take on a new meaning with the passing of time.

Fine image. And point well-taken. I have many many images saved to the hard drive that never get posted and never will because they don't "speak" to me as images the way I hoped when I snapped the picture. I definitely need to cull the herd. But now and again I'll be going back through some and one will catch my eye like it hadn't before. A recent example was an image I posted a couple of days ago. "Sancho's Tacos" did nothing for me when I first developed and scanned it last year sometime. But looking at it again the other day it "spoke" to me. I liked the look of it. So I posted it to RPF. (Sadly,...it seems to be speaking just to me though because no one else has praised any of the virtues I saw in it. lol) Anyway, to your point, Rense, yes I believe its worth hanging on to images at least for a while to see if they take on a new meaning with the passing of time.

I will see if I can find Sancho....:)

I like it very much Rense and can see why it caught your eye. I like the balance you have created with the lighting / exposure and I especially like the gleam on the stones. And just the right amount of light on the lady I think. Well kept!

I never delete images and, as a consequence, have boxes and boxes of negatives and an ever increasing array of HDs!

I like it very much Rense and can see why it caught your eye. I like the balance you have created with the lighting / exposure and I especially like the gleam on the stones. And just the right amount of light on the lady I think. Well kept!

I never delete images and, as a consequence, have boxes and boxes of negatives and an ever increasing array of HDs!

I do. There is obvious rubbish, certainly in the digital section, because I tend to shoot a quadrillion 'frames' of every scene....

Sorry for another street photo...

What is my point? Probably you (read: me) should keep photos a little longer, until skills are developed more. Sometimes, time will heal...
Shame on you for apologizing for posting such a good image. There is nothing wrong with street photos. In fact, b&w street photography is one of my favorite genres.

The lighting in that scene looks like it was really difficult. Congratulations on getting such a good capture.

I agree with all above and with yourself Rense and John here. We all are different without mentioning anyone in particular. That digital images seem to be a magnitude by some should not surprise anyone. As you as well as I, come from the film era, I for one shoot approximately the same amount as I did back then. My point is though, that an image that instantly tells you that; "yes" is worthwhile hanging on to. And this one in particular. A very good street image that also tells a story and has atmosphere. All the ingrediences of good street photography, as I see it!

Excellent image Rense and always enjoy going back over images which were once thought to be of no value. I certainly see images in a different light as times gone by and they become more visual than an actual experience and participation of the scene, which involves ideas not necessary for those not having been there. You therefore align yourself must closer to how the viewer may see the image.

Last edited:
Back