Encinitas Garden Tour

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Normally I loath being dragged around these 'events' by SWMBO - but this time I decided to take the camera, and turn it into a garden shoot :cool:

Far more entertaining (for me) - I really enjoyed myself snooping around people's gardens! ;)

All shots Canon 5D2 and 17-35 f2.8L - with polarizer

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Local horticultural society in the city of Encinitas get people to open their gardens up each year for joe public to wander through.

So basically you get the chance to be super nosy :) :)

They do that locally to us ... There was a radio show about it on local radio ... It didn't translate on radio very well if I'm honest!

Some very expensive looking gardens there ...

Encinitas is not an inexpensive neighborhood, Hamish! I like the shots #1-#3. Birdhouse architecture, eh? Nice! I do the same thing whenever I get a license to snoop at those things.

Hamish - as Darren mentioned, Encinitas has some fairly pricey houses, as well as some 'normal' stuff - no idea how much some of the homes we visited would be worth, but I think Sh!t-loads would be an adequate description! LOL

Pete - for the yellow flowers I just did my normal routine of exposure tweaks, black level tweaks, a little fill light, sharpen and crop. Probably pumped in a little more black than 'normal' to give the yellow a good contrasty backdrop if anything.

Clearly I'm no gardener, otherwise I'd be calling them by their latin name, or even a common name, instead of yellow flowers!! ;)

[MAPS]http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=crest+dr&aq=&sll=33.032449,-117.263367&sspn=0.017324,0.032272&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Crest+Dr,+Encinitas,+California&ll=33.031275,-117.263356&spn=0.006125,0.008068&t=h&z=18[/MAPS]

Most of the houses were to the right (East) of Crest Drive, with the back gardens ending at a small canyon.

I really like the bird house shot, that's a stock photo I'd say.

Vic

Scrap that just had another look and noticed your shadow.

Those yellow flowers are called proteas, by the way. I'm hardly an expert, but they are easy to recognize. They are mostly native to South Africa. San Diego's unique climate is similar to South Africa's, and we are one ofthe few places they grow naturally,and are produced commercially.

I'll defer to your knowledge - I can recognize a daisy, and that's about it!

Back