Critique Welcomed Etiquette On The Bealach

Brian Moore

The Bealach Na Ba was once just a road for the cattle to pass and indeed, I understand that the name means "the pass of the cattle." Today it is also a delightful road that allows motor traffic access to the western side of the Applecross Peninsula in Wester Ross, Scotland.

The Bealach is single track, requiring motorists to exercise caution and courtesy and to politely give way to oncoming traffic by stopping temporarily in one of the many "Passing Places" along the road. These are well-signposted and one can be found every couple of hundred yards.

I was on my way to Aberdeen--or perhaps on my way back--when I stopped to snap some shots of valley as it descends to Loch Kishorn, to the east of Applecross. That's when I witnessed this brief encounter, which I hope illuminates something about driving on the Bealach.

Shot these with the Canon 7D and Tamron 18-270.

He spots an oncoming motorist and pulls into a Passing Place

He waits patiently

The pass is safely negotiated

On his way again

He continues his descent (even the clouds move quick here)

I was going to mention the clouds - even they are polite enough to wait! Wonderful observation, Brian, of a scene I've been part of on a few occasions before.

I was going to mention the clouds - even they are polite enough to wait! Wonderful observation, Brian, of a scene I've been part of on a few occasions before.
Thank you, Rob. Much appreciated. Have you been over the Bealach, Rob? (I believe Davie and Alan had both mentioned doing so, didn't know you had, too.)

What a charming and gentle sequence Brain. Wonderful. And I do believe you employed a standing-standing-still-and-holding-the-camera-pod for these shots. Beautifully I might add. ;)
Pete your powers of deduction are worthy of Conan Doyle himself! I confess that I did indeed use the old standing-standing-still-and-holding-the-camera-pod for these shots.;)
Thanks, Pete. Much appreciated!

These are great and a wonderful sequence that I think would look good printed and presented one after the other. I love the colour tones too. Like the idea of the standing still and holding the camera pod, genius but the name will need shortening for marketing purposes I think.

These are great and a wonderful sequence that I think would look good printed and presented one after the other. I love the colour tones too. Like the idea of the standing still and holding the camera pod, genius but the name will need shortening for marketing purposes I think.
lol! Thanks you Paul Much appreciated.

so is it a requirement in Scotland to drive 'Scots Blue' cars only?

Lovely scene Brian - I like the way the road winds through the frame, and the distant coast/Loch peeps between the hills

Not sure I understand how it appears to be sunny - it is Scotland right? :D

so is it a requirement in Scotland to drive 'Scots Blue' cars only?

Lovely scene Brian - I like the way the road winds through the frame, and the distant coast/Loch peeps between the hills

Not sure I understand how it appears to be sunny - it is Scotland right? :D
The cold weather turns the paint blue, Chris! ;)

Thanks, Chris. By the way that's actually the loch there. (Loch Kishorn.) But, in a way you are correct because its a sea loch.

And yes, it is Scotland. The sunlight was appropriately fleeting yet my shutter speed was quick enough to capture it. ;)

Wonderful series of captures of what looks to be a beautiful area I would love to one day see. It seems my heritage includes a quarter or as my grandfather was found of saying a Quart a Scotch. I have never had the pleasure to travel the region but hope one day to scratch that trip off of my bucket list.

I'll ignore the cars and look at the scenery lol .... I love the road with a passion and I don't get there as often as i should, it takes around 5 hours for me to get there

Wonderful series of captures of what looks to be a beautiful area I would love to one day see. It seems my heritage includes a quarter or as my grandfather was found of saying a Quart a Scotch. I have never had the pleasure to travel the region but hope one day to scratch that trip off of my bucket list.
Thank you Bobby! ("Quart of Scotch" lol). It is indeed a beautiful area and on the Applecross side you have dramatic views of Skye, Raasay and other islands off the west coast. The sky is magnificent, too, and changes from minute-to-minute sometimes, filtering light in the most delightful and unpredictable ways. You must visit if you ever get the chance.; you'd find plenty to shoot there. Thanks again, Bobby.

I'll ignore the cars and look at the scenery lol .... I love the road with a passion and I don't get there as often as i should, it takes around 5 hours for me to get there
You're clearly a landscape photography purist, Davie! :)

(What if I photoshopped in a '57 Caddy with big fins,...would that help?;))

Back