Film rolls

Gianluca Drago

I think my photos, taken individually, are not noteworthy at all. But sometimes I feel that a whole film roll of my photographs makes a lot of sense. Does that make me a "documentary (wannabe) photographer" or what? For your part, have you ever had the same perception about your photos?

2024-01-12_21-56.jpg

have you ever had the same perception about your photos?
Yes! Particularly when I photograph events. Things like local shows (might be an Australian term - think fair/fete perhaps), motorsport events.
I find it very hard to be happy with one shot, yet en-masse they look good. To me...

Never been quite sure why, unless it's just that I'm 'not good enough'. 🧐

@Stevenson Gawen I noticed your photos look better when taken into their context. They usually stands out even when shown individually, but the context and a bit of text narrative add a lot to them. I don't think this is something diminishing your (or maybe mine) results. Probably among "camera owners" there are different stimuli that trigger the shutter button when it needs to be pushed.

I noticed your photos look better when taken into their context. They usually stands out even when shown individually, but the context and a bit of text narrative add a lot to them.
That's interesting. Now you mention it I think I have the same feeling, although I may not have put into words. Context is the crucial bit I think.
I wonder if it's due in part of concentrating on details, somehow leaving out some visual context.
In my case anyway...
Mmm... I'll have to think about that! Thanks :)

You know, looking again at your film roll above, maybe the same could be applied there - you've got loads of closeups of fascinating details (I'm not sure what they all are actually!) which give a lot of visual interest. But perhaps in isolation, just one detail doesn't make sense to the viewer - maybe it's natural to want context.
I don't know. Might be talking through my hat!

I owe you the context of the image I posted here.
I suppose that every house has its dark sides, secluded places where material memories have accumulated stratified for generations. When you are away from home during holidays, tired after a long year of work, fresh from a Covid that has affected your whole family, while you wander sleeplessly around this "historic" family holiday home, exactly those dark sides of that house you go to document.

I shared these photos (and much more) with my relatives, sisters, brothers, nieces and nephews. There are chunks of memories attached to them.

But the same spirit could be applied to different contexts, i.e. community spaces, events documentation and so on. Not all of us "who own a camera" are the a-single-shot-tells-it-all kind of creatives.

Last edited:
Now this really is an interesting discussion you've started here.
A few years ago I was very much into grouping photos together in collages. Nothing special, just using Picassa to do it. I even started conciously shooting details with the idea of including them. The context could then established either by one or two images of the overall subject or merely by the title. Here are a few examples to demonstrate what I mean and hopefully give you a few ideas.

Collages.jpg
Somme Battlefields Walking Tour

Brooklands 1805191.jpg
London Bus Museum, Brooklands

Brooklands 140516.jpg
Brooklands Museum

Wedding 1006181.jpg
Shepherd Neame Brewery, Faversham

Collages4.jpg
Ypres Salient Walking Tour (I even shot a fiield of poppies to use as the background for this one)

Your "collections" @Peter Roberts are an excellent example of what was said above. Aside from the fact that your shots are interesting, they were clearly taken to illustrate both the general context and the most significant details. Together they build a story. Even the editing (the frame, the colors, the intense vignetting) as far as I can see, was done with overall coherence in mind. Interesting. Thank you.

That's interesting. Now you mention it I think I have the same feeling, although I may not have put into words. Context is the crucial bit I think.
I wonder if it's due in part of concentrating on details, somehow leaving out some visual context.
In my case anyway...
Mmm... I'll have to think about that! Thanks :)

I do not know if you want your photos to express "Art," but I am inclined to imagine that you want your photos to be more of a record of something, whether it is a particular event, a remarkable place, a memorable moment, or a very intimate experience in your life. If I am right, I believe that in one's roll of film, one must save together three different points of view: the context, the integral "neutral" view, and detail(s). Three things, all necessary and complementary to make a whole. Later on, you may choose to publish only one of the three PoV, but when you are still on location, you should try to get all three, otherwise sooner or later you will regret (as I always do) not having taken them all.

And in the end you can't exclude that one of the photos in your film roll will be recognized as "Art", no matter which of the three slots it was in.

;)

Last edited:
Wise words I think! It's still sinking in as I write this. I'm on a train right now... And will be for much of the day. So I suspect I'll have plenty of time to ponder that one.😄
But you're quite right that I see my photos as more of a record, combined I think... with a desire to show what I see with the wider world.
Personally, if I try to "produce art" it feels kind of false or pretentious. For me, art is almost a side effect, a welcome and desirable one, but it can't be the main goal.

Back