Tinplate, diecast and card

Peter Roberts

I threatened to sort out some photos of my vintage Hornby O gauge layout that's up in the loft. As I hadn't taken any for a while I've spent several happy hours setting up a few scenes to post. The layout has no pretensions to being accurate to scale, for the most part this old stuff is very crude by today's standards. Therein is its period charm, afterall some of it is almost ninety years old.
So don your anorak, shove the thermos and fishpaste sandwiches in your duffel bag and grab your notebook: we're off to do some old-fashioned trainspotting.

IMG_1611 - Copy.JPG
Fill her up

IMG_1619 - Copy.JPG
Waiting for the signal

IMG_1636 - Copy.JPG
Queuing at the crossing

IMG_1638 - Copy.JPG
Happy campers

IMG_1641 - Copy.JPG
French connection

IMG_1649 - Copy.JPG
All of life in miniature, even the end

A fuller description of the layout and an account of my trials and tribulations shooting it on film can be found on this 35mmc post of a few years ago.

These are great Peter! When I was in Munich (years ago) I spent some time enjoying the train layout at the Deutsches Museum. I seem to recall that they have cameras mounted on some of the engines and you can view this online.

These are great Peter! When I was in Munich (years ago) I spent some time enjoying the train layout at the Deutsches Museum. I seem to recall that they have cameras mounted on some of the engines and you can view this online.
Thanks Gary.
Yes, they seem to do that sort of very well in Germany. There's also a huge model railway in Hamburg, I think it's billed as the world's largest in terms of the space it occupies. It's on my bucket list :)

love it. not sure how happy the campers are after the train goes through 9 times an hour overnight, but they look happy enough for now.
Thanks Beth. I think we Brits have a masochistic trait when it comes to holidays. It's so we came laugh about it...........when it's over 😆

Back