Toxic Death - and other fun on Clee Hill

Andrew Kent

Hi guys,

Just thought I would post to share recent evenings photography up at Clee Hill.
Clee hill is in Shropshire,, near Ludlow. The hillside is covered in old ruins from titterstone quarry which mined for dhustone (dolerite) for road building.

Shot of the hill front from one of my earlier visits:

Clee Hill by Andy Kent 100, on Flickr

Our plan was to head up after work, get in some daylight shots, and the sunset if it was a decent one, then hang around to play in the dark!

We had a fair group, Adrian, Leo, Ian (My brother), and I.
The sunset was spectacular, god rays beaming down out of the clouds to light the fields ahead of the hills, which were showing great recession.
After the amazing sunset had passed Dan showed up too!
We have been to Clee before, and despite the amazing scenery, struggled to come up with many shots. So we planned in advance this time, and took a big box of costumes, torches, the mandatory wire wool and gas mask, and a UFO!

The sunset that greeted us on arrival:

Clee Hill Sunset by Andy Kent 100, on Flickr

So then it was on with the shots.
I had been planning a shot with a dead character of some kind, with his ghost standing over the dead body. I considered everything from worksite falling accident, failed parachute, car crash, but my first try at the concept was at Clee. I used an old hazardous chemicals container I had, and added a toxic label to it. Got Leo in the gas mask and hooded leather jacket to lie down dead in the ruins.
Then had him stand behind where he had been laying.
The ghost was easy, just cut out, desaturate almost completely, and then drop layer opacity. I used single frame HDR tone mapping as well to punch up the ruins and sky a bit.

I was really happy with the result:

Toxic Death by Andy Kent 100, on Flickr

Next up was a shot I had in mind to use the dark pillared underside of the structures.
This one took some time! I did loads of red flashed exposures under the building (Although they don’t show up much in the final image). These and the two exposures for wire wool spins were stacked up together using startrails.exe.
Then I did a 7 frame HDR on the building itself.
Between shooting the building and the wire wool spins I had to leave the camera set up for three quarters of an hour while it got dark!
The sky was from that evening on Clee hill, but was taken facing the opposite direction, and HDR using 4 frames.
Then there was me with the skull mask and two off camera flashes as the final part of the image.
There are 17 exposures used in this image in the end, although I could have got away with less as the red flashes didn’t show up much.
Final image “Hell Fire”:

Hell Fire by Andy Kent 100, on Flickr

My final image of the evening was a massive wire wool spin across the ruins.
Turns out I was having a wool fail! Every spin I did made a few revolutions, then the wool would escape my whisk and do a shooting star off into the distance! Luckily Dan, wool spin extraordinaire was on hand to save the shot! So all the spins were done by Dan.
We did have one small fire break out! But some frantic stomping of boots soon solved that!
For post processing, I took each wool spin exposure, and changed the colour using Hue and Saturation in Photoshop. Then used the colour shifted spins, with a torch lit background of the ruins in Startrails.exe to stack it all back up:

Red White n Blue Hill On Fire! by Andy Kent 100, on Flickr

I still have a few more shots to edit, will post them up when they are done.
Also I will link to the other guy’s shots when they post them.
Ian did a cool looking silhouette for which I model by me standing on a ledge on the ruins against the almost dark sky, one of lots of him “many me” shot around the ruins. Leo got some cool shots of his home made UFO, and 2010 Space odyssey monolith. Meanwhile Adrian was light painting his car!
Leo also shot me in a Hazmat suit, pouring toxic waste down into the ruins! (Light painted toxic waste). Looked cool on camera, can’t wait to see the finished shot!
Dan did a light orb, and some shots under the pillars:

All in all a great evening s fun! We left the hill about quarter past 1 am, with an hour drive home ahead of us, and early starts for work the next day! All in the name of getting the shots!

A few of Dans:

image by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

image by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

A few Of Leos:

UFO Cleehill by Leo smith - rocket2cool, on Flickr

Toxic Plasma by Leo smith - rocket2cool, on Flickr

Reseshion by Leo smith - rocket2cool, on Flickr

One of Ians: - Many Ians in fact!

Many mes clee hill by iankent, on Flickr

Holding the sun by iankent, on Flickr

And this is one of mine taken at Clee hill on a previous visit:

Deaths Door Re-Edit by Andy Kent 100, on Flickr

And one of Ians from a previos visit, this is the same structure that "Toxic Death" was shot on:

Clee Hill Star Trail by iankent, on Flickr

Cheers,

Andy.

Last edited:
I'm going to try and contain my exitemmmm mmm YEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH BABY!!!! Haha!

Sorry, I've been taunting Andy since Tuesday to get these shots on here.
Toxic Death is magnificent!! Such a dark, well executed piece. (I have it as my background display at work, reactions are priceless)

Brilliant brilliant brilliant!

No, thank you Andy.
I think Mr Turner is going to be slightly excited about these too. :)

Great report.

Bloody stunning set - the initial sunrise captured my attention on flickr, wonderful light

But the staged shots are excellent as well

Wow!!!! More stuff added. Loving that stuff from Leo too!!
Epic! That UFO one is brilliant!

Yep, Hopefully Ian will edit some of his tonight as well.

A very productive shoot all in all!

Still got more shots in mind for a return visit.
This place would look great in the snow - will have to wait a while for that though! - Will have to get out the Russian next time it snows there!

excited is understatements.......i am dribbling & foaming at the mouth look at these awesome shots..........!!

really well executed, i so into this now.......off out again this eve if rains keeps off, see what we can come up with :)

Got to admit those are stunning shots & would hold up against any PRO photographers work,stunning set indeed.This is the sort of work that should have an exhibition without doubt.
WELL DONE TO ALL INVOLVED

I have to admit, toxic death is my favourite picture of this summer so far :)

- - - Updated - - -

i so into this now.......off out again this eve if rains keeps off, see what we can come up with :)

I really look forward to it Darren...... Can't wait :)

TOXIC DEATH. I should switch to digital, now that I've seen my future... NEH ;)

Hahahaa!!! That's brilliant! Did he do that before I got there?

Yes, just before you arrived in fact.

- - - Updated - - -

And another of Ians just landed as well.

Last edited:
Andy, I think we should do this again very soon.
I really enjoyed watching you all plan, discuss, arrange, debate, consult, interact, and execute these shots!
I suppose it helped that you had been there before and familiarised yourself with the place to understand what you wanted to achieve this time round.
It's really mad to think, and totally out of my usual to go to a place were there are no security guards, locked gates, CCTV, warning signs, and keep out signs!! Felt strange to not worry about a derelict place ambush! :)

It really was a great pleasure to be there and part of it in some way. Worth the late stay I say.

Thanks Dan, Glad you could make it!

Me and the guys like the challange of the out of bounds derilicts, But on the other hand, I have to admit that my best shots are always at locations where I can take all my gear, plan, set up, and tweak until its right!

Two types of photography, both great fun!

A return visit is definatly gonna happen. Leo wants to reshoot the toxic spill, Ian wants to reshoot the many mes, Adrian wants to reshoot the car (Not flickered his pic until reshot), and I want to try a few more on the lost souls theme. Also i am determined to use the Russian, He hasnt been out since me n Leo went halves on him.
Now I realise this sounds like we have a big scary russian in the cellar. In fact we went halves at the Worcester army surpless store on a genuine rusian long army coat, and furry hat. We bought him especialy for use at Clee hill, yet he hasnnt made it yet.... Next time!

Hook me up on that Andy, I'm definately down for the next visit!
When is it likely to happen?

Back