First Shots with 10-stop filter

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
Unbelievable. I went to the Water of Leith, set up my tripod, took a test shot, started putting on the filter - then about twenty Japanese photo tourists appeared out of nowhere, all with a very keen interest in what I was doing. One guy spoke broken English - "Ah, a professional! We watch!". ****! I didn't know what I was doing...

Anyway...

Here's the water without filter...

WaterTest1 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr​

I soon realised that the Fuji X-E1 could see through the filter no problem...so I tried various settings, apertures, timings, but all at 200 ISO. Here's the best one, if a little on the dark side...Exposure 6.5 seconds, f10, 18mm focal length

WaterTest2 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

Some of them were out of focus or overexposed, but I was trying some wild settings, just to see what would work and what wouldn't.

A different area, with slow-moving water...15 seconds at f10

WaterTest3 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr​

And 30 seconds at f9...not a well-composed shot:

WaterTest4 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr​

It was a very windy day, more windy along the river than elsewhere, and my tripod was too light. I could see it shaking, and sometimes tried to hold it steady. That would account for most of the out of focus shots, I imagine. The camera seemed to know what to do. I do have a heavier tripod which the Mamiya Monsta sits on, so I'll take that next time.

It was fun...even the Japanese tourists, who soon got bored. There's not much to watch after all - just an odd Scots guy pressing a button then whistling for a while...

Constructive criticism welome!

Well Done Rob,

You'll soon get the hang of it. I was going to ask you if it was a windy day as it is really noticable on the second shot.
What tripod have you got out of curiousity?

The tripod is a cheapo Jessops I got second hand. The other I have, and I'll use next time, is a really heavy Manfrotto. That should do the trick.

Cheers, Allan.

I've been thinking about such a filter. Interesting that the XE can focus through it. I think it was Chris who said it might.

Might have to go shopping.

Niiiice!

Filter shot No2 does it for me - I bet that would rock in mono!

Thanks. I have their circular polarizer and am very happy with I too. So I'll likely stick to that brand.

Your experiment, under less than ideal conditions, shows what can be done.

I do rather like those shots, its something I will try and experiment with as well I think, I do have some welding goggles somewhere so I think I will have a go.

With regards to the darker shot, I had a go at bringing back some of the exposure just to see what LR4 can do, hope thats ok!

Looking good Rob, I fancied getting into a few milky shots myself until I went shopping for a decent ND 10, then to find out the cost :eek:

Excellent stuff Rob :)

Thanks, Chris and Brian. Looking at that last edited version after a good night's sleep, it's not bad :eek: I quite like the path and railing being 'in the way', despite at the time being annoyed that I couldn't get a clear shot of the water when using the tripod.

Yeah, good going Rob! The dark version of the black and white shot I like ... But what about selectively bringing back the rocks so you can see them as in the previous shot

Back