Formula 1 - The Belgian GP

Alastair Cummins

4963693285_d50a8c019b_z.jpg

4964279992_4eb3967c76_z.jpg

4963674191_050b700c61_z.jpg

4963685825_f24014e165_z.jpg

The rest are here http://www.flickr.com/photos/allyc85/sets/72157624892482544/

now you have done well here and on your flickr ally, i like the idea on pic 3 and pic 4 is amazing, i can image that looking great on ya bedroom wall...........lol

Nice captures in some very demanding conditions. Must have played havoc with shutter speeds - can you share your lens / ISO / shutter speed numbers?

#2 is my favorite - you get better engagement with the driver when you see the front of his helmet - and the lower shooting angle also shows of the car better IMHO.

Nice captures in some very demanding conditions.
Looks like demanding conditions for both photographer and the drivers.
Cracking shots Ally.

Cheers guys! Was really chuffed with them, especially after first practice where I was getting annoyed that I hadnt found a decent spot to photograph from and that there was far too many thunder storms in the area meaning I couldnt get the camera out!

The shots were taken with a Nikon D40 with a 55-200 VR lens, though I have the VR turned off for panning as it seems to blur the whole picture and is very slow focusing on onward coming, straight on shots.

The camera settings were constantly changing with the crazy weather they have at Spa but for example the basic EXIF data for the first shot is...

Camera Nikon D40
Exposure 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture f/8.0
Focal Length 160 mm
ISO Speed 400
Exposure Bias 0 EV

Whilst the 2nd pic is..

Camera Nikon D40
Exposure 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture f/11.0
Focal Length 190 mm
ISO Speed 400

I think you deserve a medal for getting your camera out at all in those conditions!

I remember a brave, but foolish photographer at a BTCC race at Knockhill (Scotland) having her Nikon DSLR die due to rain getting in - even the 'weather sealed' pro models have their limits - I've seen various plastic cape contraptions used to try and keep things dry - or even a shammy leather draped over the camera and lens...

Were you able to get close to the action, or have you cropped the final images to get the frame filling comps?

BTW - love some of the pit-lane shots, and also this strong comp as well - great idea!

4964284428_7cc5b8cc84.jpg

fab action shots there Ally, love the spray coming off the cars tyres, them conditions must have been demanding to say the least

I agree with Chris , I liked that composition!

Thanks once again guys :)

I think you deserve a medal for getting your camera out at all in those conditions!

I remember a brave, but foolish photographer at a BTCC race at Knockhill (Scotland) having her Nikon DSLR die due to rain getting in - even the 'weather sealed' pro models have their limits - I've seen various plastic cape contraptions used to try and keep things dry - or even a shammy leather draped over the camera and lens...

Were you able to get close to the action, or have you cropped the final images to get the frame filling comps?

BTW - love some of the pit-lane shots, and also this strong comp as well - great idea!

4964284428_7cc5b8cc84.jpg

I had my camera out a couple times when it drizzled but never in proper rain, id never be lucky enough to get away with it lol!

Spa isnt too bad for getting close to the action. Theres some slots in the fences that allow you good views in a couple places while in some fences people have cut their own holes!

Some of the side on shots on the back straight ive got some fencing in the shot which I quite like as it gives the sense of speed between the barriers but when I wanted a clear shot the cars had to be off the racing line. There was a couple sections where the banking was above the track and the racing line was away from the fence so you could zoom in pretty close, well before people blatantly stood in front of me anyway :mad:

Back