Critique Welcomed Fort Casey, Coupeville WA

Brian Moore

I had this idea about capturing an image of Fort Casey in a panoramic look. I made sure to get there early in the morning so that I didn't have people in the image. The picture I saw in my mind's eye was far more dynamic than the shots I actually made to replicate what I saw in my head, but I also got this one, which I quite like.

The fort was built in the late 1800s and is one of three forts designed to protect the entrance to Puget Sound.

The gun you see on the right is one of the two "disappearing guns" on site. (Upon firing the gun retracted below the defensive wall, thereby rendering it invisible to enemy ships. Hence, "disappearing.") The development of aircraft rendered the forts obsolete by the early 1900's.

Sigma Quattro SD.

A suitable touch of glower about it. Is that snow on the ground? Great clouds.
Thanks Rob. That might be a wee bit of frost. It was quite chilly that morning. Lightroom has a nice feature which allows you to select the sky and adjust it independent of the rest of the image. It's not foolproof but in this case it allowed me to bring out the glower of the sky without adversely affecting the terrestrial portion of the image.

Back