Framing the West: The Survey Photographs of Timothy H. O'Sullivan

Ahmad Bhai

Allan's http://www.realphotographersforum.com/landscape-architecture/8217-bridge-over-river-ericht.html reminded me of Plate Photography of the Wild West.

Timothy H O'Sullivan Timothy O'Sullivan / American Art

"From 1867 to 1869, he was official photographer on the United States Geological Exploration of the Fortieth Parallel under Clarence King. The expedition began at Virginia City, Nevada, where he photographed the mines, and worked eastward. His job was to photograph the West to attract settlers. O'Sullivan's pictures were among the first to record the prehistoric ruins, Navajo weavers, and pueblo villages of the Southwest."

There was also an article in the Daily Mail The American West as you've never seen it before: Amazing 19th century pictures show the landscape as it was chartered for the first time | Mail Online

Wonderful - thank you Ahmad

I am fortunate, and have visited Canyon de Chelly - where you can still get a Native American guide to take you into the canyon to see the amazing scenery, and the White House ruins.

You can see the 'Desert Varnish' on the rocks I mentioned in Beth's post on her stained Tor. The vertical staining caused by rainfall and oxides in the rock.

article-2149899-134A645F000005DC-764_964x861.jpg

Welcome Brian, Chris. The trekking Timothy O' Sullivan had to do and the dignity he showed to nature and its inhabitants in his pioneering photographs. I think it is amazing how much of it still looks the same.

Just to add 'Desert Varnish' nice to learn something.

Last edited:
Welcome Pete. I would want to one day take a 8x10 to photograph the wild west (& rural China, Tibet, Andes).

Back