FREE - Victorian Printing Workshop.

Gavin Robert

For a short while I've been interested in the collodion photographic process so was amazed to find a free local course on the subject last night. Not only is it free but its in the former home of Julia Margaret Cameron, Dimbola Lodge.

There are places remaining but the sad news is that the two day course is this weekend.

Look under what's on: Julia Margaret Cameron Trust: Dimbola Museum & Galleries

The nearest hotel 5 minutes walk away is The Farringford, home of Poet Lord Tennyson: Home of Lord Tennyson

The nearest ferry is the Lymington to Yarmouth (train connection at Lymington side), a 5 minutes drive to the venue: Wightlink.

If anyone has the time to organise attending I can pick you up from the ferry on the first day and drop you off on the last day. I also don't mind picking up and dropping off from any hotel between Carisbrooke and Freshwater each day if this would help you attend.

The George hotel Yarmouth (next to the ferry and owned by Dire Straits bassist): The George | Isle of Wight Hotel & Restaurant.

Warner Norton Grange Yarmouth (child free): Norton Grange Holiday Village.

For something more rural: Presford farm.

Lots more accommodation available but if wanting pick up and drop off please keep it to the west half of the island.

I'm sure we can all appreciate how much money is being saved with this workshop so I thought it worth mentioning even at short notice. If anyone is seriously interested I'll be back in this afternoon to help with anything I can should you wish to attend.

Apparently, someone flew into Gatwick for last weekends workshop!

Last edited:
That's a very kind offer, Gavin. Wish I could attend. I'd love to learn more about the collodian process. (I figure I could use that as my backup if film ever disappears. ;)) Julia Margaret Cameron: I think she was the Victorian-era lady who did such artistic photography using her daughters as her subjects. Is that right?

I can't remember seeing her daughters photographs in the museum Brian but I'm sure she did. To be honest, there are so many images of dignitaries that the children probably slipped by my memory.

I wouldn't personally rave about her photography as I find it a tad elitist. From Wiki:

'In 1875, the Camerons moved back to Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). Julia continued to practice photography but complained in letters about the difficulties of getting chemicals and pure water to develop and print photographs. Also, in India, she did not have access to Little Holland House's artistic community. She also did not have a market to distribute her photographs as she had in England. Because of this, Cameron took fewer pictures in India. These pictures were of posed Indian natives, paralleling the posed pictures that Cameron had taken of neighbours in England. Almost none of Cameron's work from India survives. Cameron caught a bad chill and died in Kalutara, Ceylon in 1879.'

Considering their families were involved in the 'East India Company' I find it hard to believe obtaining chemicals would have been such a difficulty, even if having to wait for a bulk delivery through one of the East India Company ships travelling from the UK.
The subjects were also there, natives, and at a time when photography was bringing the lands far away closer to the everyday man and woman, yet she failed to see the potential even when putting aside the historical context.

I guess she was homesick for the Little Holland House's artistic community and that the excuses are a semi-smoke screen rather than appearing mentally ill.

Had using the word 'homesick' not been judged as mental weakness back then we'd probably have a Tennyson poem written about her last years.

I digress......

The albumen print workshop went well.

First attempt.

j329f9bfb79fb9vh8092-932.jpg

Vignette attempt.

rth6789e4w10o6t56t.jpg

Vignette attempt 2: Because these were all developed using daylight I retrieved some flowers from the garden, re-arranged them around the frame and then took the whole thing back outside to be develped by sunlight.

34tr453t98e4347890.jpg

An over-developed Sir John Herschel. Too busy talking and not watching the clock!

5g593k9d0jmb786h467bv.jpg

Photoshop 1860's.

Two plates. One of some earthenware on a table top with a curtain backdrop, the second was the same collodion negative of Sir John Herschel above. I knew what I had in my mind wasn't going to be possible with the albumen printing process so I knew it would be a job for photoshop to finish.

The idea was to get some sort of planetary thing going on with Sir John Herschel being an astronomer. The curtain back drop as a space dust cloud affair and the table cloth reflecting a comet trail.

Original:

gg55g45g4g5g55g4g54.jpg

What was in my head. I included a smile as it turned out more comical than I had first thought with Sir John Herschel's head flying warp speed.

g54g45g45wg452ui8.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Pete. I do intend to take this further.

The internal garage is going to be a darkroom and I've already made two tip runs to getting it clear. I also need to decide on what route I take for a portable darkroom with the wet-plate, maybe one of those small removals trailers that have standing head height inside.

I'm also going to get a MF camera too Pete and hence the home darkroom. In fact its the medium format that I'm going to need the forums advice on.

I feel extremely positive about photography once again so it'll be an exciting year.

Back