Freelensing fun

Ralph Turner

It's surprising what can be done with odds 'n' ends. I had an old Minolta af telezoom given to me that was no longer fit for use so, out of curiosity I pulled it apart. It's amazing what goes into one of these in terms of precision parts and how it all fits together. Anyway, one of the parts I was left with was the front section of the barrel, still containing a couple of elements. This just happens to slide over a set of M42 extension tubes, albeit a little loose, but no matter. Holding it in place and focussing trombone fashion produces some interesting (and surprisingly good) effects. A small portion of the centre of the frame is remarkably sharp and contrasty, but it all falls apart rapidly beyond this little area, though to good effect. The images aren't necessarily anything special, but it gives you an idea. I will likely play with this combo some more

Attachments

• IMG_5226.jpeg
    IMG_5226.jpeg
    683.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5225.jpeg
    IMG_5225.jpeg
    587.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5224.jpeg
    IMG_5224.jpeg
    948 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5223.jpeg
    IMG_5223.jpeg
    696.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5222.jpeg
    IMG_5222.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 10
I've got a highly disreputable Sigma 70-300mm that came with a Pentax Z-something... and an even worse 'kit zoom' 28-70 that literally fell apart as I unpacked the 'fully functional' lens and camera I'd purchased online. (it was cheap).

Maybe I now have a use for them!
Sounds good! You'll have to let us know how you get on with these if you do have a go 🙂

Last edited:
I'm not sure I was making the most of that sharp 'sweet spot' as much as I could have. I think I beed to be a bit more conscious of it. Next time...🤓

Thanks, Gianluca. Having had this little play with it, I can see a little better what I need to bear in mind a bit more in future forays with this lens. I might try it on film with the little EOS 500 when I get round to trying it.

This is the link.

Thanks again.

Back