From The Train - Edinburgh to Dundee

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
I've obviously made no attempt to hide the fact that these shots were taken from a speeding train, and a dirty one at that (yes, Pete, I was remembering your splendid train shots!). X100 with 28mm lens extension, Camera Raw and Nik Silver.

Flat Earthers with a pathological fear of sloping horizons, look away now!

Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin. Hold on to your hats...

From The Train 2 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

From The Train 3 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

From The Train 6 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

From The Train 7 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

From The Train 8 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

From The Train 12 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

Caught Rhona in a wooded reflection...

From The Train 16rh by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

From The Train 14 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

From The Train 17 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

From The Train 19 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

From The Train 21 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

From The Train 22 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

From The Train 24 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

Last edited:
Yes, I have. Good idea. I've just edited the return journey, but by doing the opposite - reducing Clarity to zero in Raw (and a few other tweaks). I'll upload it soon.

Not sure how you got dust on your X100 sensor Rob, but it really does nead a clean! ;)

The sense of depth in many of these shots is wonderful - the separation of subject and background, then the layer of the window in front of all that.

Loving the sharpness that you managed to achieve, even whilst in motion

So how do you rate the wide angle add-on thingy?

Last edited:
I like the wide-angle add-on thingy, and leave it on permanently. However, it does bend verticals at the outer edges. You can fix this in camera when shooting jpg, but I tend to just shoot raw these days. Sometimes I quite value the effect - seen to an extreme here where the gentle curve added to the image.

And I've found in the portraits of my students that it is better for square cropping than without having the lens attachment. I wish the X100 offered square format in camera, but it doesn't.

So, I just leave it on.

A very interesting sequence. Looks like the rain cleaned the windows some, or did you change seats? A train is one of the best ways to see the countryside IMHO!

What a nice set, I think the one that have clearly been taken from a train would make a nice set.

Back