Dundee And Fife Fae Broughty Ferry

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent

Dundee from The Ferry
by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

Fife Fae The Ferry
by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

Konica Hexar AF with Red Filter, XP2

About two weeks ago, I had a quick in-and-out trip to Dundee, to get an instrument fixed by a friend in Broughty Ferry. While he was working on the instrument, I went for a walk along the banks of the Tay. It was a freezing and windy day! But sunny...

The first shot shows Dundee, with an oil rig in port for repairs...​

Last edited:
That's weird, I was sure I had but I must have dreamed it - I'd certainly seen them. What I had intended to write is that I like the dark tone, grain and granularity as a whole. Not sure about the halo over the hills on the second though. One part of me wants to correct the artifact and another thinks it goes with the granularity of the light.

Thanks, Pete. I can live with it. As usual, I missed it, so my attention must have been elsewhere. But I don't mind it. Thanks for writing out the comment though, as I'm not so good at Vulcan mind melding these days...getting old. :eek:

It may appear so Rob, but I haven't been to the Orkneys. Joke aside. I left home at the age of 18 for the seven seas, with my camera in my hand and haven't actually returned home ever, to where I was born. After the seven seas, more education, my work has taken me around. Luckily my wife is the travelling kind too and it's become a bug. But I have slowed down as a pensioner and soon to be 65.

One of the great strengths of these two images Rob is that gloom and foreboding mood that pervades them. it really shouts out. I really like the top one in particular, composition wise. The second one to me is a little contrasty and possibly over sharpened a little; forgive me if I'm wrong as it could also be a characteristic of the film, if film was used. Hard to know these days.

Thanks, Tom. They are both film, Ilford XP2, which is grainy enough, but even more so with a red filter. Gloom and foreboding befits by birthplace! LOL.

Sorry Rob, have just now noticed that you mentioned the red filter and film under the picture above.
BTW before I joined the forum I had visited your website and, before I forget again, I want to say that I think your triptych for the children of Syria is a beautiful created and beautifully presented piece of work. It's great you had such a thought in your mind. I have been back to it a few times and I enjoy it more each time.

Back